Thursday, August 25, 2011

"It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how"

Don't worry, my Seuss obsession continues, despite the fact my Seuss baby is a toddler and probably won't be using her nursery much longer (though, she doesn't climb out of her crib and she still fits in it, so we're going to let her stay in the crib as long as possible).

I planned to change the knobs on her dresser while I was still pregnant, but for many random reasons I never did that project until a few months ago. For this project I bought wooden knobs at Lowe's and lathered them with craft paint. I was so pleased and excited with the result. I'm always amazed what a big difference a little paint makes.

Before (sorry about the flash!).
After.

The next project ended up being far cuter than I imagined. Nadine's 3rd-floor window faces west, so the setting sun glares into her room. I wanted to make curtains that would cut most of the light. We had just had a lesson in church about, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." So I fought my desire to buy Seuss-y fabric and instead looked through the surprising amount of fabric I already own.
(Before)
I randomly have yards and yards of different prints of upholstery fabric, which is nice because it's thick. I made these curtains not necessarily to be cute, but instead to be functional. So they're not sewn perfectly or even correctly. BUT, they work well and they're pretty darn cute.

And finally, I finished The Seuss Quilt! This fantastic fabric was in a cute little store in my hometown. I had several people tell me about the fabric (because people see Seuss and instantly think of me; I love it!). I had to create a pattern for this quilt, and like everything I sew it's not perfect, but I adore it (really, only because it's so dang bright). I machine quilted it at the end (instead of my usual tying), which again isn't perfect but at least I'm not as afraid of doing it next time.
I especially like the fabric on the back, with the names of Dr. Seuss' books.

13 comments:

Kerstin said...

All your projects turned out so cute and I love the quilt!

stacia said...

You most certainly are CRAFTY! I love the curtains and that quilt!

Jenae said...

I too see Suess and think of you! Way to be crafty missy.

jj

Unknown said...

I love all your craftiness. That quilt turned out amazing. You are mui talented!

Jessie said...

I am so impressed with you Miss Crafty! I have fabric in my closet just waiting to be sewn together. You are inspiring me to get it out and make it!

Foxs said...

You are so creative, Jen! I stole that phrase ("Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."). I printed it out and put it up in my closet -I know, I am such a nerd!! Now that I am not going back to work I need to remember those words!!!

Dalton Family said...

SO fun! I love that quilt! Great job! The fabric is perfect for Nadine's room. And great job with the door knobs! I love projects...well, I love them when they're complete.
:-)

Rachel B. said...

So fun! The fabric is super cute. And yes, I see no rush in taking a child out of a crib unless somebody's bumping her out. Is somebody bumping her out? :) just kidding

SaMama said...

Love the quilt! Way cuter than the Fiddlesticks one. Way to go, Ms. Crafty.

Ashlee said...

So Darling!!! Loved it all!!!!

Jessica B Photography said...

YAY! I'm glad you made your own Seuss quilt!

Cara said...

super-cute and totally you! love love love it!

April said...

Wow! You are amazing! Look at your craftiness...love the dresser, love the curtains, love the quilt!