Friday, September 16, 2011

Glass

I've been trying to find fun dates for us that aren't just dinner and a movie. Every once in a while Living Social will have deals for activities that are completely different from the norm. We took advantage of one of those deals and went to a glass blowing class in Baltimore.
It was so fun! It only lasted about 50 minutes, but that was definitely enough being in a small-ish studio surrounded by several kilns heated to a ridiculous level (I had sweat dripping from my nose). The guy who owns the studio was a great teacher; he was with us every step, making sure we didn't ruin our projects.
He took a long metal pole and dipped it in this huge vat of molten glass until we had a bulb at the end of our stick. Then we got to dip the molten glass onto tiny spots of colored glass (this is what gives the projects color).
Then you put that into a kiln, and you turn and heat the glass so it all starts melting together. Then you begin shaping it, by rolling it on a metal table and then putting an air bubble into the glass. The poles are hollow, and at the cold end you blow puffs of air that make the glass expand and turn it into a circle (we had to do the air for each other's projects, because the other was too busy turning the pole). Then you can really shape it into your project, using metal instruments and then going back to the kiln to use heat and gravity to get the shape you want (you're continually turning the pole so the glass doesn't get lopsided).

It was such a fun, different date.
I thought we were going to make lame, homemade-looking projects, but we didn't. We got to choose from some really cool projects. I made a small bowl, and Todd made a Christmas ornament. We got to pick our own colors, which was fun because I really like creating color combinations (I'm such a nerd).

Our projects had to cool for 14 hours, and then we got to take them home. I'm so pleased with how they both turned out.

Todd's ornament. The colors weren't as bright as we'd hoped, but I think it's so cool he has a hand-made glass ornament. That sucker is huge, too--it's about the circumference of my palm. I especially like that he got to shape the little loopy closure thingie at the top. The glass is beautiful.
My bowl. I love the turquoise and purple combination, with the random yellow flecks.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

That looks so fun! The ornament is cool but I love the bowl! Yippee for fun dates!

Dalton Family said...

Oh my gosh! That is cool...I can't believe you made those! I LOVE the bowl!

Lara said...

That is AWESOME! I would love to try somthing like that! Love the bowl!

Jenae said...

freaking cool!

jj

Whitney said...

I am very, very, very jealous of your bowl.

Cara said...

pretty much, that's the coolest date idea i've ever seen. why, oh, why don't they have such fun things to do in rexburg??? i L.O.V.E. your bowl...so beautiful and very you!

Aaron said...

Coolest date ever. Who'd a thought -"Jen and Todd, natural born glass blowers". Can't wait to see you and the little on in a couple of weeks.

Megan said...

Holy cow!! That is SO cool! I can't believe how awesome they both turned out! How fun!

Loupe and Aaron said...

That is really is the coolest date ever. I LOVE your bowl and kudos to Todd too- what amazing glass blowers you turned out to be!

Maggie said...

Awesome! Will you use your dish for candy or is it decorative? It's beautiful, like a flower :) And Todd's ornament is cool.

Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

What a fun date idea! I love the stuff you made!

Anonymous said...

AUGH!!! That's awesome!!! Cool date. Lucky Todd. :) Though sweat dripping from your nose is a little gross. :P

Colleen said...

That is so cool Jen! Too bad you couldn't have made one of those glass ornaments for the JNA Christmas parties. I would have been all over that. :)

Jessica B Photography said...

WOW! This is fantastic!!