At the same time I'm really worried that I have built up Washington too much; that in my desire to get out of Maryland and away from the east coast, I am projecting too much onto our next area of residence. A place where it rains nearly all the time, and air conditioners are not standard (ugh; only AC can cut out the stink of damp. Crap.).
I feel bad for poor Maryland. There could be a philosophical question based on my three years here: did living in Maryland exacerbate my depression, or was I more depressed because of living in Maryland? Either way, this poor state may always be viewed negatively by me because I spent so much of the last three years being so blasted sad.
I also think my years here were deeply biased by my Nevada upbringing. I like space. I like the sun. I like dryness. I like driving with aloha (within reason, of course). I like to be able to choose whether to be stuck in traffic. I like pleasant people who practice the Golden Rule. I like front yards that aren't a parking lot. I like being able to see for miles forward. I like fences.
Also, I like to whine. Apparently.
There have been some positives to living here.
- Rita's
- The wonderful nice people I've met here. I've especially really loved the women from church. There are so many strong, educated women who made the conscious decision to live as they currently do. I have been forever inspired and enriched by several of the women I've met here.
- BWI. Yup, the airport. BWI is a dream airport. I adore it. Especially helpful is the fact I can get there in 15 minutes. / I grew up using McCarran airport in Las Vegas, which I've now realized is a total piece of crap airport designed by blind monkeys with a preference for tour buses and taxis. McCarran is my least favorite frequented airport (and yet it always brings me "home;" such a conundrum). / I flew to Reno a lot for work, and that is a good airport. It's tiny and cute and efficient. / Salt Lake was less good when I was going to school in Provo (Go Cougs!), but it's pretty nice now. Plus it takes us to my in-laws, which is also huge in its favor. / The Honolulu airport was nice. Not just because it takes you to Hawaii. It's my second favorite frequented airport. They, like BWI, know how to get you in and out quickly without giving preference to the tourism-dependent vehicles (ahem, McCarran? See how they've balanced that?). / In conclusion, BWI is awesome. It's airport bliss. The end.
How did this turn into a post about airports?
Anyway, I am excited to move back out west.
Maybe that's the east's biggest problem: it's not the west.
It reminds me of a line from Fellowship of the Ring. "I want to see mountains again. Mountains, Gandalf!"
I think that line fairly often. . . except I say, "moun'ns."
9 comments:
Me gusta your post! I must admit I've never been that put out by McCarran, though I am not the freaquent traveler you are. I will say that the Oakland airport is quite nice and well organized. I HATE LAX and wish it would fall into the ocean. I am very excited you are moving back to the good side of the country too. :)
Love your rant. And you're right, Mccaren totally sucks. The Burlington airport was awesome and the South Bend airport is surprisingly efficient. I hate Chicago airports though. Pick one, I hate them both.
I'm happy you get to go back west. I hope you like it. East coast living is hard. I can't speak for the people of Maryland (because I really liked the people in Vermont), but yeah, the weather takes some getting used to and I know several people that have had their depression worsen because of the weather. I need sun. Even if it's cold. Sunshine is my favorite.
Justin and I are flying to the Portland area next week for a job interview. I have extremely high hopes for it too. I want so badly to love it. I hope we do because how awesome would it be to both be in the Pacific Northwest? I submit that it would rock.
My problem was building up Seattle too much, so try not to do that ;) I despised Washington but now oddly miss some parts about it. I'm sure you will like it more than me though because you will be closer to family so that's a plus, just try not to let the rain get to you like it did me...cause eventually you will get used to it. Enjoy the scenery and take advantage of Seattle. That is one thing I wish I did more of, was explore Seattle, because it really is an amazing city. And go to Pike Place Market!!
P.S- Sea-Tac Airport isn't the greatest either.
FYI. We have Rita's in Vegas now too. So that's one thing that your not leaving behind on the East Coast.
There is a Rita's in Vegas! I am so jealous.
I am going to miss the Jensens. End of list.
Also? This
I grew up using McCarran airport in Las Vegas, which I've now realized is a total piece of crap airport designed by blind monkeys with a preference for tour buses and taxis.
Made me laugh out loud.
The airport I dislike most is Salt Lake. So help me, passenger pick up and drop off are the car equivalents of moving walkways clogged with elderly tour-group members. I can't stand going to that airport.
Oh, and I am with Ariane -- I have only bad memories in Chicago airports. Mostly because of the weather. I make sure I never have a connection that goes through Chicago. Sadness and disaster will ensue.
I was drinking a protein shake while reading your post and almost spit it out laughing when I came to your hilarious and very accurate description of McCarran Airport. Thanks for that! haha!
I really hope that Washington is everything you're hoping! And I think it will be. It will feel like "moving on" from a more difficult time in your life. That in itself will make it great.
Blind monkeys? Possibly. Rich blind monkeys who want to keep the tourism in Vegas alive and well. Whenever I think of McCarran Airport, I think of the odd carpet design.
And LAX is a behemoth airport. And it's not very up to date.
And, umm, it makes me sad that you were sad.
That is all.
Post a Comment