Friday, April 23, 2010

6 month well baby visit

"Well baby" is right--as of yesterday Nadine weighs 18 lbs. 13 oz. and is 26.5 inches long; those are in the 92nd (!!) and 87th percentiles, respectively. Sheesh. I'm so glad we got the car seat that holds a baby up to 30 pounds--I can't imagine having to buy another car seat six months after we started using the first one. Dang baby gear . . ..

In relation to her visit, here's the purpose of the post: I'm always interested that we hear what we want to hear (or what we decide to hear), and that we read into things that aren't there. Yesterday, in all our Nadine discussions with the doctor, the thing I took away is that I've been over-feeding her (the doctor did not say we'd been over-feeding; further, before anyone says, "Actually, your baby is a bit heavy," based on her percentages she's just a big, healthy girl). I think I read into it because I've been worried about how much to feed her.

Before I became a mom, I'd heard others say parenthood is a bunch of unknowns that you figure out as you go along. As someone who likes to plan every step of everything, it's been hard for me to realize parenthood is a bunch of unknowns that you figure out as you go along. I need a chart that says, "This feeding, feed your baby __ in __ ounces. Next feeding, give her __ in __ ounces," etc.

So because of all these feelings of uncertainty, I looked at her weight and took that to mean I was doing something wrong. Mommy guilt. But, she's still just a baby, and she's not underweight, so I'm not worrying about it. This is all part of the journey and the adventure.

Why do we read into things? It's so lame.

8 comments:

Lara said...

I wouldn't worry about it, Jen. One thing my doctor told me when I asked him about feeding Landon was that babies don't over eat. They will stop eating when they are full - so I always fed and fed Landon until he didn't want anymore. I am not sure when they start to learn to over eat...I may have to ask him at our next appointment.

Rachel said...

As you have seen, I too am a mom of a "big, healthy girl." :) I agree with Lara. They really won't eat any more when they are full. Just as kids won't starve themselves. But I completely understand what you're saying. As Jeremy can attest, I usually come back from the doctor's visits crying because somehow I've gotten the impression I'm doing something wrong, or not enough, or too much. Blah. I have to remind myself that I'm a college graduate, dang it! I'm not an idiot and more than that there is a wondeful thing that's called mother's intuition. You may not think you have it or that you use it but you do. Take those visits in stride and do what makes Nadine and Mommy happy. :)
That mommy guilt is awful, isn't it?

Unknown said...

To be repetitive...I've also been told that babies won't eat if they're not hungry so it's practically impossible to overfeed. I wouldn't worry about her being chunky. Delight in it! I love big fat babies. Mmmmm.

I do hear what your saying about motherhood being a total 'give it your best guess' experience. I wish I could say it gets better, but I'm still guessing and Clayton's almost 6! But Nadine is happy, delightfully chubby, and healthy, you are doing things right!!!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Poof!.....mommy guilt be gone.....

Loupe and Aaron said...

I agree with all of the above. I remember Ruffles (Rafael now I guess) telling me that even if you did overfeed a baby- what's the worst that could happen? They throw up. Not the end of the world (though kind of gross). But, then you know how much is too much. (This was in response to when I was told to limit the amount of formula I was giving Daniel). Everybody loves a fat baby anyways!!

SaMama said...

See? Preemie-schmeemie. She's just making up for the first little bit. I'd toss the weight recommendations right out the window along with the "milestone" ones. She'll eat when she's hungry and crawl when she's ready! You're doing fantastic, parenting is always a "fly by the seat of your pants" thing (what does that even mean, btw??) and when she's 12 or 24, none of this will matter. :)

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

She's adorable. And when she starts moving more on her own the rolls go away. Remember Adam?? What a Buddah chunk he was! Now he's a twig. Just keep kissing the chubby cheeks!

Jessica B Photography said...

Yes, this is about the only time that all those rolls and chubbyness will be considered "cute" (it's much better than looking like an Ethiopian!) :) Ditto to your mom: She'll work it off when she starts crawling and walking and running....