Thursday, April 15, 2010

Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmm

It took me 30 years to realize you're supposed to mix Corn Starch
with a little bit of water before adding it to whatever you want to thicken. Instead I've always just been embarrassed by the Corn Starch clumps in my sauces.

I literally learned this trick a month ago. I don't even remember where I read it (maybe on the back of the Corn Starch container; I'm usually so good about reading directions . . .).

I wonder what else I don't know.

4 comments:

SaMama said...

I had no idea! I always beat the heck out of the sauce to try and get the clumps, then usually fish out the biggest ones and ignore the little ones. How does it not clump mixing it with water?

Jen said...

Ha, I did the same thing!

You whisk it in a separate bowl, then pour it into the sauce. Like, my recipe last night called for 4 Tbs. Corn Starch and 1/2 C. water. So I put the Corn Starch in a small bowl, added some water from the 1/2 C. measurement, and whisked until it was smooth and liquidy.

It works so well. I'm so glad to be done with the clumps. Heh and sad, especially that you and I had the same problem.

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

Wow. I feel like I missed an obvious teaching moment as you were growing up! But now you're making gravy and sewing all by yourself! I'm so proud!

Betsy Fowler said...

how about the perforated holes on the side of the cling wrap box, intended to keep the roll from coming out of the box? I learned that one this Christmas :)