Saturday, November 13, 2010

Just to be the man who walked 1,000 miles to fall down at your door

How fun is this sign?! It's at the beginning of Interstate 70 here in Maryland.

My mom had heard about it, so yesterday we drove to it. The Interstate going east literally just ends and you make a big U-turn and then start going west.
This is the very end of the Interstate.

Then you see how many miles until the other end of I-70. Which we have also seen (it ends at I-15 in Utah). How often do you get to see the beginning and end of an Interstate?

I have a special place in my heart for Cove Fort, not just because it reminds me of driving home from Utah, but also because one July my sister Lindsay and I had to turn around on the Interstate because it was covered by a raging fire. The fire stretched across all of I-15 and was as high as the off ramp. Completely terrifying to see, but also a fairly cool experience (in hindsight). At one point we had to stop and wait for the firemen to tell us when we could continue on the Interstate. Then, as we drove 45 MPH a fire in the median was moving just as fast as we were. It's interesting to be on the Interstate before they close it because of wildfires and then to be caught by the fire.

I wonder if at I-70 in Utah it says "Baltimore 2200." That's your homework, everyone!

7 comments:

Megan said...

That's cool!! And I don't think I knew about the fire you and Lindsay encountered - CRAZY!

Anonymous said...

Fire is crazy stuff. Hopefully it didn't eat the sign that says Baltimore 2200. Maybe I'll check it out sometime. Except I don't know where to look. Hmm...

Jessie said...

We take 1-70 every summer to go to Fish Lake and I have never seen a sign like that. I guess someone in Maryland has a sense of humor. Guess Utah needs one. :)

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

I don't recall such a sign, either, and we've taken that road a number of times. That's a mileage number that would be memorable! Thanks for posting the sign in Maryland!! Very fun!

Loupe and Aaron said...

I forgot Cove Fort was the place we turned around. That was a crazy trip- remember how the firefighters were wearing full on face masks because of the freaky hazardous smoke? We so should have taken pictures.

Whitney said...

I think you should take that highway ALL THE WAY on your trip to Utah. It'd be like a pilgrimage.

Cara said...

how cool is that?! i love it! and i also l.o.v.e. the song this title is from. i haven't heard it in years and you've successfully gotten it stuck in my head!