Ah opposites. One of the great things about marriage is you take a man and woman who are similar enough to get married but different enough to make it interesting.
I do not take risks. I like to know something is completely safe before I try it, and if I know something carries even a hint of danger, I don't do it. Especially if I'm not supposed to. So basically, I'm a pansy.
Todd likes risks. He's a rock climber; one time in Red Rock he and a friend came across a rope dangling from the top of a boulder. Who knows how long the rope had been there, where it led, whether you could get back down, etc. Todd and his friend climbed the rope. Todd is firmly in non-pansy territory.
This difference is apparent in how we hang our outdoor Christmas lights. We live in a tri-level row townhouse, so we have a skinny tall home. We wanted to hang lights around our kitchen window, the top of which is probably a good 15 feet off the ground.
Standing at the top of our ladder, Todd couldn't reach the top of the window. Me: "Oh well, the rest of the lights look nice anyway." Todd: "I bet if I hang out the window I can reach."
In this picture he's standing on the ladder; that's how high our kitchen is.
So after Pansy Jen reminded him multiple times about how often people come into Emergency Rooms because they have fallen off the roof hanging Christmas lights (doctor, heal thyself), Todd did in fact hang the Christmas lights. With no mishap.
Having balancing personalities works well. The house looks great with the addition of the window lights, and it never would've happened with just a pansy in charge.
And after gazing at our pretty lights, Todd looked further upward at the two windows and asked, "Do you think those little tiny sloping roofs can hold weight?"
No, I don't.
11 comments:
Ha ha! I love it! Go Todd! And just so you know Jen, I think I know you quite well and in all the words that would come up to describe you pansy would not be one of them! Love the lights!
First of all, I had the song from your title stuck in my head forever the other day. Random since I have not seen that movie in years. Ha.
The lights do look good, but I would have been in Camp Jenn saying the same things. Brett is definitely more daring than I am. But I agree with you that being different is what keeps marriage fun and interesting.
Allyson, Amy, and I hung our lights and I am definitely now in the pansy category. Allyson, however, is not. She got up on the roof in her three inch heels and clipped the lights to the roof...So yes, it is good to have "balancing" personalities... :)
I am a pansy too. The lights look great.
The lights look awesome! I don't know if I'm a pansy because I'd have been all for getting lights up on the window, but I wouldn't want to do it myself. I guess I would risk someone else's broken limbs, but not my own. Where does that leave me??
Hehe. Todd is funny. Very cute picture with Todd and the baby and the lights. :) What a nice family.
Good job Todd!! I vote yes for the upper windows ;)
Ha! I can totally see your expression... "No, no I DON'T." Way to keep your child's father from looking silly ending up in the ER of the place where he works. He'd have never lived that one down. See? You saved him from his co-workers teasing him unmercifully. You're such a good pansy, um, I mean wife.
Oh, Christmas lights are such a hassle!! Your house looks great though! Thanks for the cute Christmas card. I love all of the pictures!
That is too funny. I totally relate to you! As a kid I didn't even like to be pushed very fast on a swing. It was all downhill from there. Your house is adorable!!
Your house looks very gingerbread-housish. So pretty with the big lights going down the front walkway. Way to be festive in your neighborhood!! Very fun. And I loved Kelsey's "what a nice family" comment! Heh heh.
Post a Comment