Monday, April 23, 2012

Annie Get Your Gun (or, A 'Slate'-worthy Rant)


At a recent book club, the topic of conversation turned to giving birth (why, in groups of mothers, does the conversation nearly always devolve into birth stories? I enjoy telling mine, but my goodness! I also enjoy a break from talking about children.).

I started thinking about birth stories, different ways of giving birth, the fact women judge each other about their birthing choices, and women judging each other in general. Why do we do this to each other? Why do some women enjoy patting themselves on the back, engaging in one-upmanship, and smugly humming the song, “Anything you can do I can do better”? I wish women would be supportive of each other and celebrate any success in the very difficult job that is motherhood.

For me, the most frustrating “debate” is epidural vs no epidural.

I had an epidural. I loved it. I will have one again. Me having an epidural doesn’t make me any less of a mother. I still carried a baby for nine months and then propelled her from my body. I don’t expect judgment or praise for doing what I did; it is what it is. I made an educated and informed decision, and other women make their own (hopefully) educated and informed decisions to have a baby at home, in a hospital without having an epidural, and via cesarean section (collectively, my favorite people have used all of these methods).

Drugs, no drugs (I can’t stand the term “natural;” the very act of removing a baby from your body is natural, as is taking drugs to alleviate pain), C-section—all are valid ways to have a baby. No method is superior to the others, and no woman should feel less of a mother because of the method she chose or what was deemed medically necessary for her. Carrying and giving birth to a baby is tough and painful, and for that alone we should support each other (and when I say "don’t judge," I also mean do not militantly recruit others to your way of doing things; scare tactics are nasty).

Some women have babies in a hospital, some women don’t have epidurals, and some women are unable to naturally have babies—all methods are valid and deserve no judgment. We’re all in the same boat, ladies! We’re trying to raise children to become responsible, productive, interesting, non-annoying adults. Why can’t we all just get along?

I truly don’t understand this phenomenon. Do some women feel diminished if another woman has a different birth experience than hers? This doesn’t happen in any other area of medicine. When someone has her appendix removed, the following exchange never happens: 
Oh, you had surgery? Did you go natural?
WHAT?! How selfish of you to use anesthesia. Your experience was so diminished.
Don’t you know hospitals are dangerous?
When my appendix was removed, I didn’t have any drugs. It was removed at home. By my neighbor.
I’m going to give you some web sites full of anecdotal evidence about why your choice is wrong.
I’m also going to show you a video full of anecdotal propaganda about why your choice is wrong.
Next time you have an organ removed, you really should do it my way.

Seriously. Isn’t that an odd exchange? Yet a variation of the above conversation happens every time women discuss giving birth. Some women smugly insist their way is superior than another way, and this is incorrect and unfair. There are many ways to do a good thing.

Why do we judge the choices other moms make? Except in the cases of child abuse and smoking around children (and other practices that have actual scientific, verifiable evidence of their negative effects), we shouldn't question what other parents do. Most women are doing the best they can do, and we should support that. There are many different, effective, positive ways to give birth to and raise children. My way of doing it is no less valid than yours, even if it is different.

Stop judging. Stop it.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this! I miss your honesty! Much Love!!

Rachel said...

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!! (I think the same problem arises on the issue of breastfeeding.) You did a good job of showing how rediculous it sounds using the apendix example. Well done. :)

Jen said...

Ha! Rachel #2 (hooray for lots of Rachels commenting!), don't even get me started on the breastfeeding debate. As we've discussed before. :)

Jenae said...

Way to go sister. I laugh at people who get in my business in a "I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were the boss of me" .What's the matter with people? Breastfeeding, cloth diapers, medicine, pacifiers, vaccinations ... Oh my heck. No. This deserves an "oh my hell."

To these ladies I say: I'd spend less time worrying about whether I had an epidural, gave my kid a pacifier after three days, and gave him a bottle ever and instead worry about what a snot nosed little bully brat kid you have. Just saying....


jj

Unknown said...

I could write a novel in response to this. I agree, I hate the birthing, breastfeeding, 'organic v. non organic', 'you give your kid HOW much tv time!?!' debates. My kids are fine, yours are fine. I'm a good mom, you're a good mom, we parent/birth differently, deal with it.

And yes, breastfeeding - best to leave that one alone. Nothing makes me more angry than when people judge me for bottle feeding my babies. You don't know me, you don't know my story - step off.

"When my appendix was removed, I didn't have any drugs. It was removed at home. By my neighbor." funny.

Finally. As someone who has had two kids with drugs and two without I can say that IT DOESN'T MATTER!!! I feel like so many people were so excited and proud of me for having Sammie sans drugs but I kind of thought, "what about those other kids I pushed out? Can't we say yay me for that too?" in some ways I feel it's harder to have an epidural because the recovery is so much more difficult. Drugs or not, c-section or not, women are superheroes for doing this. Plus - BIG plus - giving birth is the LEAST difficult part of being a mom. Sleepless nights, worry, anxiety over every aspect of your kids lives. These are the things that make you a mom, not giving birth. All you need for that is a vagina. Being a mom is rough enough without feeling like you're being judged.

I could go on, but I won't. Well done. Love this post. I agree 100%!

Cara said...

A-MEN! love this post and love you!!!

Larysa said...

Hahaha. I agree 100%!!! You have an awesome way of expressing yourself...and I love it when you manage to explain something so wonderfully that I feel the same way about. Women are crazy, especially when it comes to each other.

Larysa said...

Hahaha. I agree 100%!!! You have an awesome way of expressing yourself...and I love it when you manage to explain something so wonderfully that I feel the same way about. Women are crazy, especially when it comes to each other.

Whitney said...

I love Slate!

Sheri L. Dew, in her book No Doubt About It, provided one of my favorite quotes, “Why can’t we resist the urge to second-guess and evaluate each other? . . . Sometimes I wonder if the final judgment will be a breeze compared with what we've put each other through here on earth.”

Last night I read an interview I really liked on http://www.mormonwomen.com/2012/04/18/celebrating-the-unseen-woman/. It gives a spiritual approach to birth. The writer discussed a book she wrote with co-authors, saying


All of us co-authors had natural births, so we started by wanting everyone to think like we do. We gathered stories—there are about 70 different voices in the book–from women who prayed, and they were supposed to have C-sections, or they were supposed to have epidurals; that was what was right for them. And other women prayed and they were supposed to have a home birth. We came to realize that birth is innately spiritual; it doesn’t matter how you do it. So the book doesn’t advocate for one type of birth.


I appreciated the authors’ willingness to amend their opinion to reflect that birth is very personal and that there is no “right way.” This author continues, “Doing the book, I came to realize that God cares about birth, and He’ll give you guidance.” I think that’s the most important – God loves his daughters, he loves the children to whom they are giving birth, and he isn’t going to judge you based on how you bring that child into the world. So we shouldn’t either.

Whitney said...

My comment is like its own post.

Apologies.

Loupe and Aaron said...

What a fabulous post. I was talking (and laughing) out loud multiple times. The appendix being removed by my neighbor is Dave Barry funny. On a more serious side, the President Uchtdorf quote was wonderful and such a good thing for we crazy women to remember: stop it. We have enough crap in this world to worry about than whether we should have given birth or fed our kids differently- they're healthy, their happy, and they're good people -that's what matters.

Aaron says we should judge each other on how we make babies. ;)

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, Aaron is scandalous, as always. I agree with this post; any manner in which a woman gets the strength to give birth to an infant...from within herself...through an opening that is not normally big enough to fit a child through...is verifiable. I didn't even realize that this was such an issue. Sheesh.

The Bames said...

Word!

Lara said...

Love this post! Mark always laughs when I have girls' night out because everytime he hears us talking about child birth....every.single.time. Amen to everything you said!

Dalton Family said...

Love it! You're so right and you have a great way with words.

Maren and Rik said...

Very good post Jen! I know about 6 ladies that are pregnant for the first time so I should tell them to read this post! :) I'm glad for the things I have learned from other people telling me their story. We really should try and grow and learn from each other instead of putting others down. I hope I will be more observant of these things happening in conversations.

Loupe, Aaron's comment made laugh! That would be such a different conversation! :)

Maggie said...

I think I was at that book club, but I don't remember people being judgmental. I thought the ladies were just sharing their experiences...But then again, I'm pregnant and have turned into a absent-minded clutz, so what do I know. (Maybe I was in the bathroom for part of the discussion ;) .) Each pregnancy, each child, each mother, each labor and delivery can be so different! So of course, there are going to be different ways to deal with the process and provide a solution for bringing God's children into this world. Loved your post! Judging others..."Just stop it!" :)

Jessica B Photography said...

This is definitely a fun post & comment section. I too like the "my appendix was removed by my neighbor line" lol. I also like when Ariane said "giving birth is the LEAST difficult part of being a mom" AMEN TO THAT!!!

I prefer to use the word "unmedicated" versus "natural" because just like you said, it's all "natural" (Maybe when we enter into a Matrix-like society, it won't be "natural" anymore), just like "organic" produce should really be called "un-pesticided" or something.

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

Truly, what a privilege it is to be able to carry an infant inside of us. My heart hurts for those that can't. I'm so grateful to and amazed by women who give a baby up so that another woman can have a chance to be a mom, birth process or not. Like has been said, the hard work starts AFTER delivery. And it doesn't stop. The rewards come as you go along, and they keep on coming. Raising a child to be a good person is the best investment you can make.

SaMama said...

Oh my! I've missed your voice, telling it how it is! It's been so long since I've visited here or the Nani blog that I couldn't remember use or password and do the whole darn thing all over again!

I've laughed out loud about a dozen times since reading newest post to here. Way to go, taking 2 weeks to be a couple again! You're not just a mom, you're you... and a wife too!