Saturday, May 19, 2012

Freeeeeeedommmmmmmm!


Todd and I just spent two wonderful, fun-filled weeks away from Nadine. His parents are fantastic and they flew out to watch Nadine for us. It was really great to be a couple again and, at least for me, to selfishly enjoy a vacation (seriously, when we got to the airport I wanted to cry out, a la William Wallace, but without the torture).

We joined my parents and sisters in South America and crossed two things off Todd's bucket list: we visited Machu Picchu and Iguazu Falls. We also got to spend a couple days in Buenos Aires, where Todd served his mission, which was fun too. (We didn't actually see the areas where he served; he said they're far too dangerous. Missionaries are incredible.)

Souvenir shopping in Peru was fun and colorful.
These cute girls posed for a picture . . . then asked us to pay them for it. "Un sol" became our vacation joke.
My sister ordered, and my dad and Todd ate some of, guinea pig ("cuy"). They had it on most menus in Peru. This is the head. See the teeth? And the ears? It nearly goes without saying, but I did not eat the guinea pig. I could barely look at it.
The Incas were incredible at fitting the stones together. The stone behind us is one massive stone. I'm amazed they moved all the stones (this is in Cusco, which was the capitol of South America during the Incan reign).

Machu Picchu!
We hiked to the Inca Gate. It was a bit of a hike, but very fun and had a great view. This is Kelsey, me, my dad, and my mom.
And us again. Todd was nice to make sure I wasn't always behind the camera.

We had just hiked straight up the peaked mountain behind Machu Picchu, Huayna Picchu, which involved lots and lots of stairs for about 45 minutes. It was grueling (especially at 8000 feet), but so worth it. Luckily you can't tell how sweaty we were.
There were several llamas around nearly all the time, but we were rarely close to them. For some random reason I really wanted a picture of a llama.
Say it with me: "Llama face!"

This is the Casa Rosada in Buenos Aires. It's where their president lives. The balcony up top is what the president uses to address the people; Evita famously waved from it.

Iguazu Falls.
The falls were actually dry, but still stunning. And the dryness allowed us to see the plants and rocks around the falls.

We went to the Argentina and Brazil side of the falls. You get completely different views from each. This is the Brazil side.

Argentina side.

And of course we got pictures of bugs. This ant was bigger than a penny.

The Caminito in Buenos Aires. It's basically an area with wonderfully bright colors, tango dancers, shops, and weird statues.


And there you have it, a sampling of the 670 pictures I took during our trip.

12 comments:

Jessie said...

I seriously LOL-ed when I read the first paragraph. I think every mommy deserves a two week vacation. Glad you had a great trip!

Unknown said...

This time last year Justin and I were in Mexico and I felt the same way you did. Things that used to bug me before I had kids (car trips, airplane rides) are actually now very enjoyable because I can watch a movie or read a book, or listen to whatever music I want!

I'm very jealous of your trip. How fun! Also, that guinea pig is disgusting. how brave of Kelsey, your dad, and Todd to eat it!

Jenae said...

AWESOME!!! SOOO on our list of things to do! And kudos for going kid-less. It drives me crazy sometimes when people INSIST on taking their toddlers on their two week Europe vacation. Maybe I don't love my kid enough.... :)

jj

The Bames said...

Love it. Such a great vacation to take with your hubby and family!

Foxs said...

Wow! What a trip! Looks amazing.

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

Dad, Kelsey and I are reading your blog as we sit in the Buenos Aires Airport waithing for our flight. And waiting. Whit parted ways with us here. The party's almost over. It was so fun to be with you and Todd. Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane with the photos!

Maren and Rik said...

I love both your movie quotes! I'm so glad you both got to go on that trip together. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Whitney said...

Not even an honorable mention for the Grand Theft Auto taxi rides? Sad.

This post made me very happy -- what a fun adventure (and I love imagining your reaction to the guinea pig. It makes me giggle)

Maggie said...

Love it! Can't wait to see more :)
Kid-less trips are a must. So glad you got to do that!

Lara said...

Can you say "jealous"???? Oh, yeah!! It looks so beautiful! I am so glad you guys were able to go. We are leaving this week for our family vacation to Aspen Grove and I.cannot.wait. It'll be a nice break. So...yeah, I thought the guinea pig was disgusting looking - there is no way I would eat that! Ick! What did your sister say about it? did it taste like chicken?...and I would be scared out of my mind about the insects and other creepy things...though that ant had a pretty cool design on it. Love the last pic - you and Todd are so cute. :)

Sarah said...

Dude! What a sweet trip! Too bad I read this post AFTER you came to visit so I couldn't ask you about it. I'm crawling out from underneath my rock a week too late.

April said...

Man! I miss everything! Looks like you had a great time! So glad you had some fun couple time! I can't believe Todd ate the guinea pig thing....gross! I have lots of things that Hyun like to shoot in our front yard that look like that! If Todd wants to stop by I will fry him up one. :) Glad you had fun!