Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It seems like a rather blustery day

Last Friday night, we were chatting with the newly-arrived Whitney, when suddenly the Creepy Wind started up. The kind that whips around the house (which is impressive to do in a townhouse) in ghostly noises, and shakes the trees from side to side. Then the lights started to flicker. Then the lights went out. For 27 hours. I am very grateful we got our power back as quickly as we did, and that it was a limited outage, which meant many restaurants 15 minutes away were open.

The storm was incredible to watch. Not only did we have winds of more than 60 mph and pelting rain, but we had near-constant lightning for at least 40 minutes.

The next day, we found this as we drove down one of the back roads.

It's a tree branch. Lying on the power lines. Suspended above a road. So cool!
(The desert rat in me is still amazed the east coast tree branches are as big as southern Nevada's trees.)

We slept in the basement the second night. The temperatures were up to a muggy 100 degrees, which made for very hot nights. Nadine enjoyed wearing my headlamp, so of course I got pictures, which are on the Nani blog. Nadine was a very good trouper through the entire outage, even though she didn't want to sleep in the basement (mmmm, I'm grateful for basements).

5 comments:

Ashlee said...

That is crazy! And I too think the suspended tree is kind of awesome... :)

Unknown said...

Does Whitney want to come back? The first time Ashley visited us out here we had a bad storm and lost power for 3 days. She's a little gun shy when she comes back now. :)

Whitney said...

Hah. I'm pretty sure I cause the power outages, so I'm just excited the Jensens still let me come.

It was quite the adventure -- I feel like everyone stepped up to the proverbial plate

April said...

Holy tree branch! That is crazy!

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

That is impressive. It took my brain a second to understand that why the trunk was pointing up. Yep, desert rat.