We're planning a young women's activity that involves 80s music. Because the other young women's leaders are just as amazingly dorky and rad as I am (I said rad), so we picked an era with some truly great songs. An era in which none of the young women were alive. Crazy.We need songs that are appropriate for girls 12-18 in a church environment. The three I have come up with are "Joyride" by Roxette (because it's my favorite and there's quality whistling), "Beat It" by Michael Jackson (the girls need to know he did more than "Thriller" and . . . illegal things), and "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany. I listened to that song in 2nd grade, when we got our first CD player. Wow. Is that song appropriate? If not, "Who Can it be Now" by Men at Work seems a very good alternative.
I also want to rock some Belinda Carlisle ("I Get Weak" is a song I totally forgot about when compiling my wedding song list. Dang.), Duran Duran, Van Halen, and Madonna. But are those artists and their songs fun enough and appropriate?
What do you guys think are some great 80s songs I'm forgetting about?
11 comments:
"I love you. C'mon join the joyride"
Aw Jen, you have truly struck a nerve with me! I am the all time queen (speaking of Queen-the all time classics of Another One Bites the Dust and Bohemian Rhapsody)of 80's music. I LOVE IT! It is kind of my trademark on my MySpace page to come up with sweet oldie songs from that era. That is why I am giddy with excitement over this post!!! And are those song appropriate??? C'mon now, I can't think of too many 80's songs (C'mon Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runner excluded) that would be too inappropriate compared to the music of today! So with that being said, here are a few of my faves that pop immediately into my head. I'll probably visit your blog 18 more times as more songs come!
Girls Just Want to Have Fun-Cyndi Lauper (a MUST for a teenage girl's activity!)
We Didn't Start the Fire (great beat and can you sing all the words?)
Der Kommisar-by After the Fire
The Promise-by When in Rome (the girls will recognize this song from Napoleon Dynamite)
Mr. Roboto (because EVERYONE likes to do the "robot")
Walking on Broken Glass-Annie Lenox
Back on the Chain Gang-the Pretenders (it's FUN to sing about community service!)
Throw in some Pet Shop Boys, Human League, Depesche Mode and you've got yourself a PARTY! :)
PS-When playing "Who Can it be Now" think of some missionaries knocking on non-member's doors! HA!!!
Wow, you DO rock the 80s! Those songs are great. I really have forgotten about a ton of them. And you're right, most can't even compare in scandalousness to what we have today.
And I love love love likening "Who Can it be Now" to missionaries!
You shall be my Rad Music Guru.
Ok...I have nothing to contribute, but checked these comments because I KNEW Tiffany would give some great answers! Ha! So funny.
By the way...it's news to me that C'mon Eileen was inappropriate!!!! I LOVE that song!!!:):):)
Tiffany was my first tape ever. Do you remember when she came to BYU? I'd check out the list of songs from the Wedding Singer soundtrack for more ideas. Like the "you spin me round like a record" song. . ." That song always says 80's like nothing else to me.
Laura-"you in that dress oh my thoughts I confess, which are dirty. Ah c'mon Eileen"
Nothing TOO terrible...but ya know, it's a church activity. Funny, that song was ALWAYS played at stake dances huh!
Jen-I am MOST honored to be given title of Rad Music Guru. I shall try to live up to such a title!
Oh man. Tiff hit the jackpot with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". We have to make sure that that song is perpetuated through the following generations as a favorite girls-jumping-around-the-room-in-their-pj's song.
And yes, as a child, I was banned from "I think we're alone now" and "beat it".
Ha, yeah, C'mon Eileen is one of those songs you don't realize is fairly dirty until you're older and have listened to it a million times.
Katie, I so remember when Tiffany came to BYU. I stopped on the sidewalk between the Wilk and the library and allowed myself to be a bit excited about listening to that song live.
And yes, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is one of those songs mothers (or really cool aunts) are required to pass on to the younger generations.
I know it is completely cheesy...but I have very fond memories of Chicago. I know most of them are slow..but sooo good. Plus there is Pat Benatar (Heartbreaker, Love is a Battlefield), and the Bangles (Eternal Flame, Walk Like an Egyptian)..ah there are soo many. Check out the soundtrack for 13 going on 30. I think they have quite a few.
"Safety Dance" (Men Without Hats) is one of my all time 80's faves. I don't know if it's dirty or not, but it's a great one!
"Listen to your Heart" by Roxette is also a fun one if you have some Roxette going anyway.
"Alone" by Heart always says 80's to me.
Also, "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco is one of our favorites. Totally a cheesy and kind of lame song, but what can I say, Justin and I are cheesy and kind of lame. I think I could go on with this topic forever!!! What a great post! You'll have to let us all know what you end up choosing and how it turns out!
Those are all such great songs. I think I like a lot of the music then better than I do now. What is your calling in YW? Do you like it?
Post a Comment