Monday, May 12, 2008

Why I don't like dogs

I truly don't like dogs. I never want to own one, and I don't go ga-ga over others' pets. I do have a soft spot for animals--I'm not that cold-hearted. But I don't want an animal in my home. This story illustrates why. Hilariously, which is fun.

A few months ago we were at our family's cabin and decided to go for a walk. At the bottom of our street is a cabin whose occupants let their dogs run wild (and really, in a place that big and open, why not? The dogs get exercise, in theory, and they wear themselves out every day). As we passed that cabin, this cute Basset Hound started following us.

Now, I said the pets in this cabin must get lots of exercise. This dog didn't. He's fat like most Basset Hounds seem to be. Cute fat, but fat. The Hound (we called him "Dog") was persistent, and followed us the entire hour-long walk. We jumped across a little stream that was honestly half a foot wide, and Dog attempted the jump and got high-centered by his gut. Kelsey bravely jumped into the freezing stream to save him.

After about 20 minutes, the fat dog was tired and hungry. So he kept stopping at every cabin to try to be adopted. Like we'd been suckers and adopted him. But I didn't want to leave him behind (see, not cold-hearted) because I didn't think he was smart enough to find his way home, and I knew he'd be perfect coyote food. I had to pull him away from the cabins and try to convince him to keep following us. "Come on, Dog," we'd coax. People must have thought we were crazy, or terrible pet owners.

He started whining. He gave us his puppy dog eyes. He started limping. He got this in return.

Yup, my brother-in-law (who does not hate dogs) carried Dog down the road. A dog we'd never seen before. And as we were walking along the "main" road, Dog in arms, a girl and her dad drove by on a 4-wheeler and she yelled, "Hi Rufus!" or whatever the dog's name was. It was her dog, being carried by some random UNLV fan, and they kept driving! Hilarious.

Aaron got tired of holding Dog, so he put him down. Dog stopped walking. Dog sat down in the middle of the road. Dog made this face.
Then this happened.
Dog owned us. And he knew it. Look at his face.
p.s. All these pictures are from Whit, because she's not as lazy as I am and actually gets her pictures off her camera. Thanks Whit.

15 comments:

Rachel B. said...

I'm totally not a dog person either, but that dog is pretty dang cute. I love that you got suckered in. Tom and I are bound and determined to make Reese believe that a dog is like an elephant and that you don't ever actually take them home, you just go places to see them. Hope it works.

Jess said...

You guys were so nice to take care of it! I would have told it to go away! I am not a dog person either!!

Whitney said...

Ha! I love it. You forgot to mention that our good friend dog followed us home and tried to sucker his way into our cabin.

Kerstin said...

What a funny story either. I am not a pet person either, I like animals well enough but I really have no desire for any pets.

Sarah said...

That might be one of my favorite stories! I'm laughing out loud in my own house at the moment. Good thing I didn't read this at school today! I love dogs but not other people's dogs. I don't know if I would've been that nice!

Unknown said...

HA! That's hilarious! I love reading your blog because I always laugh so hard!

I'm not a dog person either (or, for that matter, a pet person of any sort). Sometimes I will think I am, but then I go to the houses of people who have dogs and that cures me in about two seconds!

Jen said...

Rachel, I think that's one of my favorite comments ever--a dog is like an elephant. SO true. You're hilarious.

And I am so glad there are so many of us who don't like dogs! Wonderful. We need to start a club, Mormons Who Don't Like Dogs. Or something.

Betsy Fowler said...

I always wondered who the mean people were who tried to steal my three legged dog Rudy from our cabin -- yes, we caught them putting a rope around her neck a block or two down the road from our cabin.

Little did I know that the accused dog-snatchers were probably sympathetic folks who, in reality, hate dogs, and were just feeling sorry for her as she limped along on her three little paws. Maybe they were relatives of yours jenn!!!! Maybe I shouldn't hate them afterall!!!!

Meg said...

I am so not a dog person. I would have walked right by it saying it looked cute and that would be that. My kids and Eric want a dog and so far I have held out. I just don't want to have to clean up after a dog and Eric wants an indoor/outdoor dog. Oh well hopefully I will win the battle. Thanks for the funny story. I needed it today.

Foxs said...

What a funny story! I love how honest you are about not liking dogs.

Katie said...

Oh, my gosh, your post takes me back. We had a Basset growing up- the only pet I've ever had (fish don't count). Your story illustrates EXACTLY how these dogs operate. Too funny the owners just drove on by.

Jen said...

Bassets really are devilish little things, no? With their cute floppy ears and huge paws . . .. And actually, I think fish do count, at least emotionally, because I've always felt really bad when I killed my fish (fish are the wimpiest pets) and that's probably one of the reasons I'm afraid to get attached to pets (sniff). Oh, that and the cleaning up after pets and dogs running away at every opportunity and mounting everything in sight and howling at 4 AM, and so on. :)

Sarah said...

I find it really odd that the owners just said "hi" to their dog and left him there. That just confuses me. (And the only time I've ever liked my dogs was right after I got set apart for my mission, about a day before I left... I must have had an over abundance of missionary love or something... It was really weird.)

SaMama said...

Totally random, and this was FOREVER ago, I know, but everytime I see the pic of the dog making "this face" sitting in the middle of the road I laugh. That's exactly what I'd look like sitting in the office if I were that dog, lol.

SaMama said...

And yes, sometimes I'm a total dork and pick a random blog of yours just to get my Jen-induced laughter fix at the office. :)