Monday, April 28, 2008

Gushes and rants

(or, Gushes and one rant, which fortunately is more positive and Karma likes that)

Recently I have developed a major dependence on caffeine. Specifically Diet Cherry Coke. I've also noticed my soda intake is significantly contributing to my Newlywed 15 (I never gained the Freshman 15 in college, so Karma is having a blast with it now). So I have been cutting back on my Diet Coke intake (sigh). And that is my excuse for this post--there are things I have wanted to post about, but they've been random and short, and today I'm feeling my caffeine withdrawal so I'm hoping a blog rush will get me through the day.

Gush:
We got Wicked tickets! We have very good seats, and hotel rooms, so now we just get to let the anticipation build, which really is the coolest thing.

Rant:
Yesterday was stake conference, and it was a really nice meeting. The meeting was broadcast to our building, and they had technical difficulties, so the sound was very quiet. So quiet we couldn't hear anyone who stood more than an inch from the microphone. Especially with the background noise of children crying, screaming, banging toys on the metal chairs, etc. The noise drowned out the speakers. And that's my rant; maybe it's even an Ask Miss Tacky.

And I know I run the risk of Karma giving me hellion children because I am complaining about other people's children, but seriously parents from yesterday--can you not take your screaming child out of the room? They had a feed into the Relief Society room, where there are soft chairs. Take your kid there. I realize kids make noise, and I find it mostly adorable, but there was a child in front of us who screamed like a banshee every minute or so. And his parents just sat above him ignoring him. I admit, I am not a mom and can't even imagine having to parent children, but that's all I ask--parent your children, don't just let them annoy everyone else. (That was quite a rant; I can only imagine what you moms will have to say about my insensitivity Ü.)

Gush:
This picture from Ryan and Katie's blog. I can't get enough of it. I think it's the sweetest thing.

Gush:
Grey's Anatomy and LOST are on the same day. What an awesome idea. And LOST was fantastic, but we all know my true love lies with Grey's, and Thursday was such a good episode. That woman's skull flap flopping out of her hat?! Oh my nastyness. And one of the best lines ever was George and Lexie after she klepto'd everything from the hospital:
George: “I wish you had stolen the TVs.” Lexie: “I tried; they’re bolted to the walls.”

Gush:
Right now I am totally obsessed with this song

and this song.


11 comments:

April said...

I agree that parents should take care of their children. I think a bit of noise is ok, because heaven knows that kids like to make noise, but if they are screaming like banshees and banging on metal chairs something should be done. I'm lucky, Addy is always good during church (knock on wood), but if she does get fussy I will excuse myself and go take care of her. Just my opinion

Sarah said...

I agree with you Jen. Sunday was hard to listen to. I had quiet kids in front of me but with the sound sometimes I still couldn't hear. I don't think you are being insensitive though. I totally agree! Oh and Grey's was fantastic on Thursday!

Jessica and Chris said...

I sure am glad I wasn't sitting in front of you! We actually shouldn't have sat where we sat. Note to new/future moms - take the aisle seats near the door, so that if you do need to you can make a quick exit. Now you know why we always sit where we do in the chapel!

And wow, I didn't know JEW had a new album. I used to totally be into music, but now not so much. Jimmy Eat World and Ben Harper are two people I still listen to and (try to) follow. However I don't think Jim is the best to watch while he's singing.... That chick from your other song totally rocks though.

Unknown said...

Sometimes it's hard with kids because you want to teach them that they have to stay in the meetings and that throwing tantrums isn't going to get them a ticket to the hallway (we went through a small phase like that with Clayton). But I do agree that they should have taken that kid to the RS room. That sucks.

I missed Greys on Thursday, bummer. I will have to try to catch it online!

Jen said...

Jessica, I actually really like sitting by your kids because they ask the most hilarious questions. Good to know about sitting on the ends.

Ariane, that is SUCH a good point about teaching your kids to sit during sacrament. I'll have to remember that when kids are noisy but not loud--it's so much better to teach kids to stay in the chapel than to let them run around the foyer.

What good moms you all are. :)

Jessica and Chris said...

I hate the foyer club! When I take out kids out, I don't let them get down and run around. Either I hold them or they sit in the corner. Then there's the people who hang out in the foyer during Sunday School and RS even if they do not have a baby. Go to class people!!!

Whitney said...

Dear Jen,

I listen to those two songs a lot a lot now--they make me very happy. Especially Crushcrushcrush when they say 234. That is all the fings I want to say.

Whitney

Whitney said...

Oh, and I totally voted with the take your children out of the room crowd. I am not yet Christlike enough to feel the spirit when there are children screaming and stomping (just to let you know, putting these comments in writing just guaranteed me little hellion children).

Whitney said...

Okay, so I know that I have commented way too many times, but I have my own gush! So, when I triple click on the "replay" of crushcrushcrush (as I said previously, I listen to it a lot), I can get into Youtube! This is wonderful because BYU has taken it upon itself to block Youtube from its network (because it contaminates young minds, I'm sure). Anyway, thanks for introducing me to a great song AND providing a wonderful link to an excellent, apparently heinous site!

Jen said...

Jessica, I'm truly amazed people never grow out of staying in the foyer for all three hours of church. Does church attendance even count if you don't go to any classes? Hmmm.

Whit, the 1234 part of that song was what began my obsession. Glad you like it too. And yea for a YouTube runaround. YouTube really is a necessary college distraction. And yes, you have tempted the Karma gods. Beware. Also, thanks for all the comments. They warmed my heart.

Meg said...

I agree that when your child is really loud to take them out. If I take our kids out I take them to another room where no one is at and they can't do anything so they will learn it is not fun out in the hall. i don't know if they get it yet because every time I am walking out there are like 5 other parents just sitting and talking letting their kids run around. Must be nice but I actually want my kids to learn to appreciate church. Oh well--to each their own. Plus I am married to Nazi Eric who won't even let our 18 month old have a snack before the sacrament has been passed. I am okay with it with our 4 year old but come on the little one is hungry. But he won't budge and if I do then there are looks and crap.