Anyway, today's Get Fuzzy cracked me up. I don't know why Satchel's dialogue in the first box was so funny to me, but it totally struck a nerve. Maybe it's the use of "shall." Shall is a funny, official-sounding word. 
A nerve was also struck by this e-mail from my brother-in-law. What does it say that my dad is a surgeon, my brother is a radiologist, and Todd has a desire to be an anesthesiologist? 

I'm thinking this was written by someone in the England, because some spellings are wonky. I shall try harder to brush up on my England-english.
8 comments:
That cartoon is hilarious. No one uses "shall" anymore. Maybe we should bring it back.
I also like the flow chart. I fail to see any primary care options on it though. Sad, I was wondering what Justin would be.
"I shall call her Wayne"--I WOULD say that! And it made me giggle. Good call Jen.
Also, the medical student chart cracked me up! I like that the hardworking people with nice attitudes have the choice between hating adults and hating children. AND that those with the medium attitude have the choice between patient asleep and patient dead. If I were a med student, I think I'd end up in surgery or pathology, depending on the day.
That is good stuff....hey will you send me your email or home address....I am helping with our class reunion and I have a mailer ofr you, but I can either stick it in the mail (we are running out of time) or email it to you! My email is theortegas@aol.com
Thanks Jen
Brittney!
Oh Jen, thanks for being intelligent and witty. I have one friend who is in similar life circumstances as you - married last year at 26, husband is in med school, no kids yet - and I can't stand reading her blog. She gushes about celebrities, complains about her husband, and daydreams of her past single life. Whenever I read her blog, I have to come read yours to give myself a breath of reality. Maybe she doesn't intend to sound like she does, and I have other friends who post/comment things that I wonder if they really mean to say what they say. It is sadly strange when things (personality traits, thoughts, truths, etc) slip out in the blogging. Anyways, thanks for being you.
Oh and this same med school husband, I think wants to be an anesthsiologist, he says that pediatricians are generally the ones who don't get very good grades. You don't make that big of an investment only to flunk out, he says, so since pediatrics is an easy field to get into, thats where they go. Of course there are always the ones who really do want to be pediatricians. Oh and he also says it doesn't really make sense, because it is actually hard to be a pediatrician - everyone expects you to know everything, you see a million patients, and you don't get paid very much (comparatively).
Long comment is now over.
You know, some people don't seem to grasp the concept that a blog really isn't their space to brain dump. Well, I guess they can, but people won't want to read it. What a random blog your friend seems to have. And really, telling the entire world you miss your single days? How sad! Her poor husband. The MySpace generation with its overload of Sharing Violations . . ..
And yes, I've heard the same things about pediatrics. Which is interesting. Apparently I'll need to choose a pediatrician by asking, "Is this what you wanted to do the moment you got into medical school, or because it was the only open residency?"
So did you have your 80's night yet? *drooling at the mouth for details*
Ha, Tiffany, sorry. I should have said in the post that we're not doing the 80s thing until July. I posted the day after our meeting, and I was way excited about it and probably posted prematurely. So we still have about a month. And then I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited. The leaders are great, and the girls are so much fun.
Just thought I'd point out that Pediatrics and Medicine are both primary care specialties.
And yes, they are probably some of the hardest, since you're supposed to know some of everything.
Matt Ripp
Post a Comment