Yesterday on my flight back from Reno I sat by a kid who was traveling by himself. He just turned 13, so he's old enough to fly on his own (really, Southwest Airlines and/or the FAA? You have to be 16 to drive, but a child under 16 can fly alone and navigate McCarran Airport? Sheesh.), but he was pretty freaked out about this flight, so he and I chatted the whole flight back. He was totally entertaining. He was showing me the books he reads, things he likes to draw, and pictures of his cats, and he was telling me about the movies he and his friends make. He was so creative, polite, and just young. It's so fun to talk with kids because they're still excited and optimistic about everything.

Most of our conversations centered around cats, so I found this hilarious picture of someone's cat.
He was telling me he gets made fun of at school because of the books he reads and other things he enjoys. Kids are so mean. I wouldn't go back to being ages 12 to 15 for anything. Peers are just nasty then. They aren't sure of who they are, so they take it out on kids who are different or those perceived as weaker. Here's this sweet kid to whom I had been asking all sorts of personal questions (what grade are you in, what do you like to do, etc.) and he asks me if I'm married and then apologizes for asking a personal question. Dang mean kids who pester him.
11 comments:
Kids ARE so mean! I remember those jr high days too. Painful. My "difference" was I fainted in health class all the time. Boy did I have many sleepless, crying nights over the things kids said to me about that! KIDS ARE MEAN!!!!!! I don't ever want my babies to grow up...
That's so sad. I think I remember that. Our little egos were so fragile then.
Seriously, I don't know how parents can handle it. It makes me so fearful for my kids.
That kid seemed great! I hope that my kids can grow up to be nice boys who stand up for kids who are a little "different".
**I wanted to say, "We shall call her Wayne" in my post about Jared's new baby, but I figured that only a handful of people would get it and then I would seem like a weirdo.
Yeah; I should've told him that everything works out in the end, but I always hated hearing that. So I just told him to ignore people and do what makes him happy.
You would've been even cooler if you'd said Wayne, but as it stands you're still pretty dang rad. Too bad few people would've gotten the reference. Dang.
Just the word Jr. High gives me a pit in my stomach. I might home school just to save my kids the trauma. About the airport, when we were in Chicago visiting my mission, one of the families I knew told us they were moving out to Cali. Then they told us they are sending all their kids on the plane and they'll drive out the van. Kids are ages 13, 5, 3 and 1. But they might take the baby. I've never heard anything more shocking... By the way, loved "Ask Again Later". It was a great suggestion.
The first time I had to navigate the airport alone, I was 17 and SURE that I was going to die. The second time, I was 20 and the Red Cross had to offer assistance because of a quasi-natural disaster. People shouldn't let their children travel alone.
You are so nice to make him feel special! I'm sure that meant a lot to him. It's sad that people that age are so insecure and they take it out on others. I am so nervous to have my kids enter that stage.
Also, thanks so much for the nice card. I got it today. I really appreciate! I love getting mail!!
What a sweet little guy. And I agree that kids are mean. I'm scared to death for Reese to go to school. But you know what, those sweet, polite kids like that are the ones that grow up to be great adults. I wish kids could understand that now. That was sweet of you to make him feel not scared on the plane.
Poor kid. Why are kids so mean. I can't stand kids that are bullies. you were so nice. And I agree with others why do parents let their kids fly alone. Heck airports are way busy places and it is no place for a kid alone. But I do know that they let the parents walk them to the gate and meet them at the gate they land in. So they really are only alone on the plane and then they get the opportunity to sit next to nice people like you.
I also meant to tell you that you should totally do the Alaskan cruise. I love that cruise. The scenery is beautiful and it is way relaxing. So totally go without kids but if it is your first cruise you will probably want to go on more even when you have kids. We took Lexie and Josh last year and Lexie still talks about the "Big Boat". Anyways I hope it all works out for you guys.
Yeah, I'd have a hard time sending my kids on a flight alone. Scary. I really can't believe Sarah's story about the parents just letting all their kids fly. Why even bother to have kids if they invonvenience you so much?!
And Meg, thanks for the rave about the Alaskan cruise. I've heard it's one of the best. It should work out, as long as the flight deals and cruise deals last until tonight. We're excited.
Post a Comment