Wednesday, June 18, 2008

California Dreamin'

Last weekend we went to Los Angeles to see "Wicked" and it was excellent.

Glinda was so good in this show. She was so over the top in "Popular" and highly entertaining to watch. It's such a great show to see in person. I've been singing "Defying Gravity" since Saturday (this happened the last time I saw "Wicked"--I love love love that song live).

The show is in the Pantages Theater in Hollywood, which is an amazing venue. The decorations are old and gaudy and beautiful. There's carved wood and gold everywhere, very cool chandeliers, and the ceiling in the theater is a gorgeous blue. It was a great place to see the play. We took a picture inside the theater (which you're totally not allowed to do), and luckily you can't see much, because I'm making one of the nastiest faces ever. My brother-in-law took the picture as an usher was coming down to tell us not to take pictures. And then she let us return to our seats. Random enforcement.

Before the play we went to Manhattan Beach, which is a major volleyball beach. They had rows upon rows of nets. It was like heaven. Cold heaven. It was probably about 70 degrees, which isn't cold to many people, but we left near-100 degree weather, so it was cold. Luckily three games of volleyball warmed us. Then we had a bit to just chill, walk in the waves, and read. I love being near the ocean. And the homes overlooking the ocean were so cool; they were all so different and wonderfully decorated. I really enjoyed them.

We stayed near LAX, so we had a bit of a drive to the theater. Well, I think it was like 15 miles. Which is nothing. In Nevada. In Los Angeles, it took us nearly 50 minutes. On a random Saturday. I don't know how you Californians deal with that amount of traffic. Don't you worry, traffic and many other factors will ensure I never move to California and further clog your roads (although in California's defense, this year I've realized I am a small-town girl who's totally freaked out by major cities. Pansy.).

It was a great weekend. We went with my sisters and their husbands, and it was so much fun to have family time. I was excited to be able to see the play again and for Todd to see it (remember, he's the cultured one). And it was so great to be near the ocean, if only for a few hours.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so incredibly jealous!!! I have heard the best things about Wicked and I want to see it so badly!

I hear you about California. It is a great place to vacation, but I wouldn't move there. Not for eleventy billion dollars! :)

Anonymous said...

How fun! I am glad that you had a good time. I am with you about the small town girl afraid of big cities. Vegas is big to me, that is whey I picked a corner of it to live in. I can handle a corner.

Rachel B. said...

How freakin' fun. That is so my kind of trip. I love plays/musicals. I'm glad you guys had fun and got to go to the beach. One of my main memories of you is playing walleyball at your house in high school. I'm not crazy am I? That was your house right?

Sarah said...

What a fun trip! Glad that you're still keeping volleyball alive in your life. I haven't played for years... Sad!

Jen said...

Ariane, you totally need to have Justin take you to see it in New York. You had a real birthday this year! I think that qualifies for a special trip to see an awesome play.

April, I love your comment about your corner. Life would be easier if we only had to worry about out corners.

And Rachel, yes, that's my parent's house. That's so funny you remember that. We still have tons of fun using the court. Next time you're in town, you guys should come out and play. We're always looking for people to play. Same with you, Sarah. I can't believe you haven't played in years! Blasphemy.

Jess said...

I'm so glad you had such a great trip. I've seen Wicked once and loved it. How fun you guys got to sneak away to LA. I agree- I don't know how people drive anywhere in that city. You would get some places faster by walking.
I loved your pics!!

Katie said...

What an AWESOME trip! I definitely do NOT miss the Cali traffic. It's so frustrating to be stuck in a car in a sea of other cars and not moving at all. I can't wait to see Wicked again. Someday. . .

Dalton Family said...

How Fun! We saw Wicked in that exact same theater last year......such a great show!