Monday, June 30, 2008

Remember when I used to be all independent?

So this Saturday Todd is leaving for San Antonio for the month of July. He's doing an anesthesia rotation with the Army at a hospital there (which means he shaved his facial hair this weekend--it's so strange to see him clean-shaven), and this is also a bit of a quasi-interview. We're hoping he can do his residency at this hospital, so the rotation is his time to really impress them. In that case, it's nice he'll be there alone because he can dedicate lots of time to the rotation.

On the other hand, that means I'm still here. With no Todd. It's going to be so strange to have him gone. I'm really going to miss seeing him every day; it's wonderful to have found someone I always want to be near, but it's also interesting to reflect how much I've come to rely on him. Being married and that whole "becoming one" thing is incredible.

I've already booked a cruise (yep, we're going to Alaska!), so I need other things to keep my attention while he's gone. I plan to put some more plants in our yard (unless it's too hot; but I really want climbing flowers in our backyard), exercise a lot (I've talked about gaining the newlywed 15, but did I mention how I was asked if I'm pregnant? That is major motivation for weight loss), spend time with my family and the friends I've been ignoring since I became a newlywed, and read. I plan to read a lot. Specifically this book.

Do you guys have other ideas for things to do when you are away from your spouse for a month (besides going to visit, which I am fortunate enough to be doing twice)?

10 comments:

Whitney said...

First: I believe we need some serious pictures of Todd with no facial hair. I think that's the sort of coverage your blog community has come to expect.

Next: when I'm by myself (which is all of the time), I study. You could try that. ACTUALLY, you should read the Bourne Identity. Why you haven't yet, I'm not sure. But it's happy.

Last: very exciting about the cruise. Good choice.

Meg said...

I just spent almost the last month without Eric being around or me being out of town without him and it got really old. I guess partly because I had the kids and so everything was 10X harder. Your list sounds way good. When Eric goes and takes the kids, I read, scrapbook, rent movies, go to movies and eat out every meal. It is heaven. When he leaves without the kids I have done our whole food storage (something I am way proud of--and that is about it since it took a long time. Good luck. I hope the time flies. And when do you go on your cruise. I am so excited for you. Hopefully you will have a blast.

Jen said...

OK, the next book I read will be Bourne Identity. I actually forgot about that one (scandal!).

Meg, those ideas are excellent. Especially the scrapbooking. I've been wanting to scrapbook cards, so maybe I'll use this as my excuse to get started. See, you really are quite crafty.

Oooh, I can paint, too! Nice.

Unknown said...

This is a good time to visit Vermont!! What could be better than some girlie time in the Green Mountain State :)!?!

When Justin is gone I am so boring. I read a lot, watch a lot of movies that he wouldn't really care to see, eat foods that I can't eat with him home because he doesn't think that dinner should consist solely of ice cream (silly boy), and (oh yeah) take care of our kids. That last one is a must, but I do like to do things that I really don't do with Justin home. It's nice sometimes.

Good luck with him being gone. It's sad. It's amazing how quickly you come to depend on someone else's company!

Also, I'm super jealous of your cruise!

Tiffany said...

This is what I do when Trevor leaves...engross myself in reading other people's blogs. I don't recommend it. It's a terrible addiction.

BUT! You could come hang out with me and watch SYTYCD!!! :)

Tiffany said...

Oh and freshman 15, newlywed 15, then comes baby weight...it never ends. Perhaps I should get my butt off this computer desk chair and do something? Naaa.

The Bames said...

GOOD BOOKS-Have you ever read any books by McSweeney? The latest book is a funny collection of short essays - mostly poking fun at other novels. The book before that was a compilation of lists, such as "what if the hoover dam was made of leggos" and so on. All their books leave my sides in stitches - they really crack me up. It's a work out and a good read!!

Jen said...

Amber, I'll probably go to the library soon to get some of those books. They sound excellent. I especially love truly hilarious books. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm kind of a reading junkie.

Maggie said...

Being without hubby is no fun. But, there are definitely lots you can do. One thing that Matt and I have done is write letters to each other when we're apart. That's part of how our courtship started, so it's a bit more sentimental in that way. Also phonecalls/emails. They might make you miss him more, but they also help you to feel not so far away.

Sarah said...

Let me know what you find out. Devin and I start a month apart next week. I'm dreading it... I think I'll send a dinner calendar around for myself in R.S.