Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mountain sheep are wild animals

There is a park at the base of the mountains that separate us from Las Vegas. It has a great view of the lake, a nice large grassy area, and a fun renovated play area. It also has another, unique, perk--big horn sheep come down from the mountain to graze on the grass. Lots of big horn sheep. I've never been lucky in my timing of finding the animals--you seem to have to get there when the sun is behind the mountain but before dusk.

Yesterday Todd and I saw 65 of them at the park. It was the coolest thing. We were mesmerized. And neither of us had our phones, and we didn't have a camera. We went home to get it, and by the time we got back to the park the sheep were in the hills. So we went back today, because we're dorks and because large wild animals with awesome horns are spectacular.

It's such a dichotomy to see these animals among children's toys, sidewalks, and a chain-link fence. Tonight we were there for nearly an hour, and as time wore on a few sheep would leave the park and go up a bit into the hill, then just wait or rub their horns on the trees. Then more would move to the hill. And then, for whatever reason, at about 7:45 the 15 or so remaining sheep left the park at the same time and headed for the hill. In single file. I don't know if they knew dusk was almost done or what, but it was an interesting phenomenon.

Big horn sheep at the park are a usual occurence, and sometimes people are stupid and try to pet them, so the city installed a sign on their behalf.
And also, here's Army Todd without his facial hair. We're standing on the jungle gym (is it called that any more?), close enough to the sheep but far and high enough away that they can't ram us. Rebels.

18 comments:

Rachel B. said...

That is one of the most random things I've ever seen. I love it! I'm glad you went back to get pictures. I would have been thoroughly entertained by it too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is alot! I think I have only seen a couple there once a long time ago.

Unknown said...

That is a really random thing. You and Todd crack me up! I love that you two are such "rebels"!

Maren and Rik said...

Rikky and I really need to go down there. We're close enough. I don't think I've seen sheep at that park since I was in Junior High probably. Anyway, while Todd is gone we and any other fun girl should totally have chick-flick night.

Jen said...

Oooh, I would love chick-flick night! You're such a good sister. Tomorrow I am getting "27 Dresses" and "P.S. I Love You," and Kelsey has never seen "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," so that's coming up too. You should come to any or all of those.

Also, I think "Batman Begins" qualifies as a chick-flick because it has Christian Bale in it as a hot superhero. I'm in the middle of that but would gladly start over with others.

Tiffany said...

My heart throbbed a moment as you mentioned Christian Bale. Hearing that name always takes me right back to Newsies and the heart palpitations I used to get as a "tween" watching that movie. And who is this that has not seen Girls Just Want to Have Fun???! THAT is a sin!

Oh yeah, nice sheep pics too! ;) Classic BC activity!

Jess said...

That's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

Katie said...

HOw cool is that? I never knew the sheep came down like that. Amazing! It's nice to know Vegas/ BC has more wildlife than just roaches.

Jen said...

Yes, but as we learn in "Wall-E," roaches survive almost anything, so that I guess makes them tougher than sheep. Nastier, and crunchier, but tougher. Do they have roaches in Ohio? If not, I'll export some.

Meg said...

What an amazing sight. How did you get so close to them. I would love to see a sight like that. When is your cruise?

Jen said...

It was the craziest thing, they must be so used to humans--they pretty much just stared at us and/or kept eating. They didn't care at all. At one point we were probably 10 feet from a few of them. It was so cool.

The cruise is the last week of September, the last week they do Alaskan cruises. So it won't be warm, but it's so blazing hot here that I'm ok with a colder cruise. We're so excited. And we're going to spend a few days in Seattle, so that will be fun too. Todd grew up there, so I'm glad we're finally making the trip.

Jaime said...

Hi! I have know the Jensen family for many years, we all lived in Seattle together. I got your link from Rachel's blog. Hope you don't mind me stopping by.

Love the photos of the sheep, especially the one at dusk with them on the mountain. Very cool!

Tell Todd hello from Jaime Lee (maiden name - Willis)

Jen said...

I'll definitely tell Todd you say hello. He might have already seen it--he lurks on my blog. ;)

Isn't it so fun to reconnect with people through blogs! It makes it so easy, and you can very quickly catch up on what people are doing. I'm glad you left a comment. How fun.

Maggie said...

wowzers! i've never seen that many wild animals in one place. very cool.
todd without facial hair- that'd be something you'd have to get used to, especially if you've never seen him that way.

Zach and Nikki said...

That's great that they still come around. I haven't been there in such a long time and had kind of thought that tourists had scared them off a long time ago. I remember when tour buses used to stop at the park and tons of people would pile out of there to take pictures (and maybe try to pet them)

Loupe and Aaron said...

Look at me! I'm blogging! It is really cool we have endangered wildlife so close (it's a good thing we're not poachers).

Sarah said...

I love the sheep pictures. I need to go out there and seem them. Oh and I love that you got your sisters to blog too! Way to go!

Andrea said...

Jen...this is Andrea (Croft)! How are you? I found you through Rachel's blog. This is the craziest thing ever! Born and raised in Henderson and I haven't ever heard of this. Where is this park so Bryson and I can visit it the next time we are in Vegas?

Also, we just had a little girl! She is SO much fun. You can see pictures on the blog that I just started! I hope things are going great for you!