Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Am I destined for fatitude when the main highlight of my trip is a BBQ restaurant?

I went to San Antonio last weekend and the weekend of July 12. It was so fun to spend time with Todd. "Fun" doesn't even begin to describe it, but no words really do so we're going with that. I'm going again this Friday (I'm getting to know that 8:20 Vegas to San Antonio flight really well) and then we're going to drive home together. I am so excited for the road trip, and to be able to see Todd every day again.

The first weekend we went to the Riverwalk. It's basically a canal that runs through downtown, and there are shops and restaurants on a walkway along the canal. It is really pretty. And muggy. Oh my humid. I don't know how I'm going to live outside of Nevada's dry heat for eight years. Luckily there was shade, and the Riverwalk is pretty enough to be worth me sweating buckets.

We parked near this hotel, which has air conditioning (always a plus) and is named after a confederate general. I love the near-south.

It was so interesting being in Texas because I recognized a ton of the surrounding city names only because of country songs. That cracked me up. Poor Texas being known through country songs. But there is one Texas stereotype we found to be true: BBQ. We went to Rudy's one Saturday night, and it was amazing food. It had such a fun atmosphere and was incredibly laid back. It didn't look like anything spectacular--people sit out front or inside this mess-hall type room with lots of metal folding chairs and tables. But the seating arrangements just add to the great experience. We got the best ribs I've ever had, a half rack for $8. I was floored to get such good food for so cheap. The employees were really nice, and when they found out Todd's in the Army they were genuinely appreciative. I love that about Texas.

Another true Texas stereotype is drinking. We saw "The Dark Knight" on Saturday (what a great movie) and we tried to see it in this huge nice IMAX theater, but the remaining eight shows that night were already sold out. So we saw it in a regular theater, and waited an hour in line. I can't believe the hype for this movie. Anyway, we finally took our seats, and the people next to us had glasses of a cocktail and the guy in front of us had a small bucket of ice and beer. Like what you'd see at a 4th of July BBQ in your backyard. It was insane. And people think Las Vegas is the place to party. Apparently it's a nice IMAX theater in a ritzy area of San Antonio.

We also toured Fort Sam Houston (and I went to my first PX, the Post Exchange, which is basically a huge one-stop mall for Army personnel and their families and it rocks) and he showed me some areas of Brooke Army Medical Center, where he has been spending all his time. It's a huge impressive building. I also learned the Air Force has bases and the Army has posts. And now you know.

All in all, I really enjoyed San Antone. The people are pretty nice, the freeway entrances were designed by dunces, trees grow all by themselves, and there are several Rudy's BBQs. And Todd was there.

17 comments:

Whitney said...

Yay for the San Antonio post (some of us have been hoping for it's existence)! I think, if you guys end up living down there, I will come visit you. My only Texas experience was a layover in Dallas. I'd MUCH rather have barbeque and batman. Mmmmm.

And I'm very happy that Jen gets to see Todd AGAIN this weekend and that that means Todd will be coming back to Nevada for good!

Oh, and me gusta MUCHO the riverwalk, it wasn't what I was picturing, but I love it! Lots of trees = excellent.

Whitney said...

P.S. Do they have fun accents? That would go well with the belt buckles and acoholic movie theaters.

Whitney said...

aLcohol. I suck today.

Jen said...

They are amazingly drawl-free. I don't know why. Maybe we didn't go to the right places.

Tiffany said...

Sweet. Sign me up. Although I think I would be a melting mess in the humidity as well. I complain about it here when it is 1% humidity. I'm glad Todd is coming home soon. That went fast huh? Well, for me at least. But I know how agonizing it is to be away from hubby. See you Wed. perhaps???

Tiffany said...

PS-I like the title of this post.

Meg said...

I really don't like humidity. One because I glisten and two because of my hair. But I don't mind visiting a place for a while because I know I will be going home. But you made San Antonio very appealing in your post. I hate being separated from Eric for long periods of time but it makes us so much more grateful to be together when we hook up again. So are you guys moving there? and if so how soon before you go?

Loupe and Aaron said...

I enjoyed your pictures. Rudy's actually looks nicer than what I had pictured from your description. The Riverwalk looks fantastic, I think they should put one in Boulder City. It would be great for late evening walks in the summer. You didn't say anything about bugs and mosquitos. Did there seem to be alot of them with all the water and humidity? Yeah, for wives that miss their husbands? What does Todd miss more, you or the goatee? I think I know the answer.

Rachel B. said...

Wow, you have been quite the travelling woman lately. That is definitely one thing nice about being kid free. I have always wanted to visit Texas. Tom and I have actually put it as a place where we could live. I don't know about the humidity though! Yikes. I'm so glad you had fun and that you guys get to drive back together. Yeah for husbands!

Todd said...

I could tell you which one he misses the most... it's not the hairy one.

Larysa said...

Yeah for the Robert E. Lee hotel. That made me giggle. Maybe home is not quite as far away as I thought (although Texas is still quite a ways from Utah).

I think the humidity will grow on you. I love it! But then again, maybe the South brainwashed me, and I am ok with that. =)

I am glad you got to see your husband!! It would sad to have him gone!

And to agree with everyone else, I love the Riverwalk and more places should have them.

Unknown said...

Texas sounds like fun (and sort of funny). I understand about the humidity though - it TOTALLY sucks! However, I like to think of it as a weight loss opportunity, "Sweatin' away the pounds". You can borrow my philosophy if you want to.

That BBQ sounds delightful. It made my mouth water as I was reading it.

Hmmm, if you are going to go to too many more movies in Texas it sounds like you are going to have to take up drinking.:)

Sarah said...

It will never cease to amaze me how much alchol people in the South (or near South) can consume. It's crazy. You liked Batman? I'm too scared to go.

Betsy Fowler said...

Yeay - so glad you got to spend time with Todd -- and eat some finger lickin BBQ (my personal favorite thing about the south as well....well...that, and being called "suga" or "hun" every time a waitress brings you a refill)

Fun post!

Jess said...

I'm so glad you've been able to spend some time with him. I'm glad you liked it down there. I lived in TX for four years and all that I remember is sagebrush and snakes. We saw many around our yard. Oh and my mom stepped on a scorpion in her bathroom. That's about all, really. I'm glad you enjoyed the BBQ!! Bran is in Vegas right now for work. Everyone is apart!

Ellsworth Family said...

Super fun trip!! It looks warm, and for that I am jealous!! I am glad that you get to have Todd back, and I hope that your road trip is fun, but more importantly SAFE...buckle up!

The Davis' said...

Looks liek you had a fun time and I'm glad you get your man back!

I felt like such an idiot the other night...
My grandma is in the hospital and my family was like, "Jen Ripplinger is her nurse." I was thinking they had it wrong but they were pretty sure. Anyway, I was there the other night and they said that they saw you again so I had to go searching for myself. I found one of your sisters, I wasn't sure which one (not you of course!) so I started to tell her the story. But stupid me never told her who I was, so I'm sure she was like, who the heck is this person! So yeah, I saw Lindsey at the hospital and she was my grandma's nurse one night!