Aka: Using all my free Southwest flights to do fun things with Todd instead of sitting at home waiting for Todd while HE does fun thingsThanks to Southwest's awesome rewards program and my job that makes me travel a lot, I had a really fun past couple of weeks.
On August 2 Todd and I drove home from San Antonio. We (i.e. Todd) drove nine hours both days, but it actually didn't feel as long as it was. Road trips are fun. Especially

with Dramamine. I had never been to non-San Antonio Texas, or New Mexico, or that area of Arizona, and I actually really enjoyed the sights. I thought it was pretty, especially the Texas part.
In New Mexico we saw the prettiest flowers blooming along the side of the road. I loved it. I took all our pictures through the window of the car, so they're not perfect. But if we had stopped for every picture I wanted to take, the trip would've been twice as long.

Arizona had tons of saguaro cacti. Like, a forest of them (we in the desert get our forests however we can). We also got to pass "nothing" in Arizona. Which some would say sums u
p a
trip through the high desert. But it didn't. It was just hilarious.

And I was, of course, happy to pass back into Nevada via Hoover Dam. I love the Dam. It's also been fun to watch the progression of the
bridge that will bypass the Dam.
When we got home I saw my tomato plants, which looked like this


when I left, looked like this merely two days later, because of about eight of
these guys. They
're tomato caterpillars (with nasty horns)
and were each about the size of my
pinky. Maybe my ring finger. Stupid caterpillars eating my tomato plants that have struggled all summer. I got too much pleasure out of putting the bugs and my now-only-sticks plants into a bag and out in the sun.
This last weekend Todd and I flew to Baltimore so he could interview at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. That's our other choice for his residency, and his interview went well. Now we just wait until December to find out where we'll go.

We also got to spend time in Maryland with Todd's brother's family. I had only met them once, the week of our wedding, so we were so lucky to spend an entire extended weekend with them. We had a blast. Greg and Nicole were great hosts, and we had a great time with them and their kids. The entire weekend we had great weather. It wasn't too muggy, and the temperature was very pleasant. We got so lucky. I'd heard Maryland has really good crab and crab cakes, and Saturday I learned it was true--I had the yummiest crab cake ever. That alone wins me over for that residency.
We went to DC on Saturday and spent a few hour

s at the mall, which was fun. I love being a cheesy photo-taking tourist. We cooled off in this neat fountain by the National Archives, we saw the Washington Monument, and we took pictures of the Capitol Building, the Lincoln Memorial, and the White House. I've been to DC before so I was
ok not going to every building, I just wanted to spend a little bit of time in DC while we were so close.
I let Sadie and Micah take a few pictures, and they did a great job. Before we left for DC I let Sadie take a picture of whatever she wanted, so she gathered her new cute shoes and took this picture. I love it.

Yea for shoes.
9 comments:
You think YOU had it bad with those caterpillars? Try having them live in your lower intestines! (See my blog for details) SICK! Ok, so they weren't THAT big, nor did they have horns. They sucked just the same though! Poor Alex.
Looks like another fun trip for Jen! OH! I just realized I forgot to tell you who won SYTYCD. IM me if you need details.
Oh my the nastiness (though I very much enjoyed the rest of the post :) ). Caterpillars should be fuzzy and cute. Not yucky tomato-plant murderers. I laud your decision to bake them. That's what they get for eating the only green things in a sad hot state.
How fun. I love road trips. Hooray for SWA!
You have been busy! I realize that this is a selfish desire, but it would be really fun if you and Todd ended up in Maryland! I would totally make the trek to visit you!
Those caterpillars are really gross! That stinks that they got your tomatoes.
We had one of those caterpillars too. Luckily I found it before it got to the plant too bad. You forgot to mention that they turn into a really ugly moth!!!
Lucky you guys and all your fun travels. I love road trips as well. They are a bit different these days, though. A nine hour drive would not be so desirable....
So have you enjoyed traveling? I am impressed you thought the drive from Texas was nice. I would have died of boredom and then put on 15lbs from eating everything to ward off the boredom. I bet you are super glad to have Todd back though. No fun to be separated. Where you do you want to end up?
All is well in the world when your husband's back. I toatlly understand. How fun to be able to go visit so often. Hooray for both of you.
I hear you on those caterpillars; the ones over here ate my petunias (I didn't have tomotoes).
We have to hang out again before you two take off! (Sorry July didn't work out; we were really busy)
I love reading your blog! You're a fun writer.
Jen, that sounds like such a fun trip! How exciting that you will find out soon where you will be living. I will miss our sporadic PP dinners, though! Speaking of which, we need to plan one...
I can't believe all the places you've been! Are you tired of traveling or are you used to it and tired of being home? If you're ever headed up to UT you are always welcome to stay here! We need to get together. I loved the pics. You look great!!
Post a Comment