Friday, August 29, 2008

Pandering, or a good political move?

I just heard about McCain's choice for VP. At first I was dismayed, because it seemed like he was just trying to pander to women voters. But the more I've heard about Sarah Palin, the more she seems like a good choice (considering that she is the choice; I won't argue about who should or shouldn't be his pick now that the decision has been made). I read this article, and she seems very conservative. Which is good, because McCain is not conservative enough to be the GOP's candidate.

Also, she has five kids. I'm always impressed by women, especially political women, who will have more than one or two children. Any amount of mothering is good, but in this day and age I am impressed by women who are busy mothers and don't apologize about a large household. It speaks volumes about her values and commitment, and I do believe a person's personal life is reflective of the type of civil servant she will be.

So, I'll still vote against Obama instead of for McCain, but at least I won't cringe when I do it.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Ok...so I completely agree with you. Any vote against Obama is a vote for America. But my inital reaction was kind of sad... she has a one year old and now she's basically leaving the home to pursue this new venture. We need a true conservative to balance out McCain...but I think of Pres McKay who said that no success in life compensates for failure in the home.

I could be wrong - I usually am... maybe it's because I grew up in a single parent home...

Am I valid in my thinking or am I just too conservative for the conservatives?

Jen said...

You know, I didn't even think about that. Good point.

(sarcasm on) Good thing poiticians and rich people have nannies (sarcasm off).

Dalton Family said...

You know, I am the same way! When I first heard he put her in, I thought he was just after the women voters too. But the more I hear about her, the more I really really like and trust her. I actually believed the things she was saying in her speach--normally I don't believe a word politicians say in public.

The Hills said...

The more I hear about her the more I realize McCain is covering several bases. NRA members, true conservatives, mothers, men who just want to have someone in the whitehouse who is nice to look at...haha

Jess said...

I liked this post. I think I might add a poll to see which one my blog visitors are going to vote for. Is that tacky?! I agree with your points on the VP choice. I'll just be so glad when it's over and done with. I want to talk about something else. ps I thought your jewlery board was awesome!! I'm proud of your skills.

Jessica B Photography said...

I haven't studied up on Mrs. Palin but when I first heard, I thought it was good. Then things sank in and I do think it involves some strategy. I still like her though. And when it really comes down to it, is anybody really going to make things better? Or worse?