I have had our house bug-sprayed every month, like clockwork, since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. So there is a pretty nice perimeter built up. Which is great, especially because this summer has been an infestation summer (see my tomato caterpillar story below) but we have been blissfully free of spiders. The first year I owned the house and started fixing my front yard, I made the perfect environment for black widows and had a major black widow issue outside (although I do hunt black widows, which Todd thinks is weird but I find highly enjoyable).
So, back to my bug-spray perimeter (I just realized this post is only about bugs, and I'm a total freak. Thanks for reading it anyway, despite the fact it might be giving you heebie-jeebies). There is a fairly large spider in our garage. It's nasty and large, but I found it dead. Which makes me really happy because that means my perimeter takes care of these types of freaky pests so I don't have to waste half a can of Raid on them (previous experience with this kind of spider, though, shows Raid has NO effect, and only the potent stuff from my bug man can affect it, which is uber nasty). This large thing was trying to live in our garage. Eew.
Caveat before spider picture: using the forensic skills I learned from The Bone Collector, I tried to show you how big this spider is, even dead. I realize some of you may live places where there are bigger spiders. And that is nasty. But if you do, please feel free to share. We'll try to make this the nastiest blog post ever. (Jess, your stories of hobo spiders in Spokane still haunt my dreams.)
8 comments:
ewwwww!
This post is great. I hate spiders. I don't mind pictures of them but I hate them. This one almost looks fake. Have you heard of the Brown Recluse. Anyways those scare me to death. A girl I grew up with her mom got bit by one and didn't realize until too late. She had to have both her arms and legs amputated. And then at girls camp my cabin mom got bit on the finger by one that was in her sleeping bag. She lost her finger. Needless to say I didn't want to go back in our A-Frame. So yeah that kind of spider totally freaks me out. I also love that you used your Bone Collector skills. I would probably have used my CSI skills.
I can't believe you got that close to it - dead or not! You're very brave. That spider is very large and gross!
Yuck, yuck, yuck! I do not to well with spiders. Any kind. Especially one that looks all big and hairy like that. Ever since the movie Arachnaphobia (sp?) I am still scared of one biting my butt when I'm using the bathroom or being in my shoe when I put them on.
I think I would have FREAKED OUT if I found that in our garage! Thanks for the quarter comparision to bring all home.;) A few weeks ago Jeremy and I found a grasshopper as long as my hand hanging out on our front porch. Not dangerous but much larger than any insect should ever be.
How'd you get rid of your black widows? Just the bug guy? We have a lot living in our garden.
That one day I had to return your car into your garage, that spider filled my heart with trepidation. seriously, and I knew it was coming. But, the thought kept coming into my head, what if it came alive and decided to eat me?
Bone Collector. Funny stuff. I want to see a hobo spider. For some reason, that word totally intrigues me.
I loved this post!!! The whole time I was reading it I was thinking of hobos! I CANNOT believe how big and fuzzy that spider is!! Disgusting.
Post a Comment