Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!

Sometimes I am crafty. Currently my only major crafty successes involve paint. For ceramics. Not paint to actually paint a picture.

I enjoy accessories, specifically earrings. Earrings rock and make me happy and I have a lot of them, but it's hard to pick the pairs out of my cute but small jewelry box. Especially because I have to find plastic backs so my earrings don't slide out (I wasn't smart enough to save the plastic backs when I bought most of the earrings, so I have like four roving plastic backs).

I needed a better way to find my earrings.

With inspiration from MSN Lifestyle and Anisha, I created an accessory board. I used a cork board I've had since high school (you know, the ones on which you tacked pictures of friends and Leonardo DiCaprio, funny comics, etc) and put the accessories on the board using quilting tacks. But the board looked trashy, like all my earrings were on a cork board I've had for 10+ years.

So, using my only creative talent, I painted the cork board in my current favorite color scheme (purple, green, and gold. Totally our wedding colors, totally an obsession, and totally dorky. But awesome nonetheless.). And I'm pretty excited with how it turned out. It's like a functional work of art. And it's SO easy to find my roving plastic backs now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so creative, I am going to try and make those ribbon/material message boards for the kids rooms this Christmas.

Meg said...

I think it turned out so cute. I have thought of doing crafts like that but I always get intimidated or working on something else. Maybe someday.

Rachel B. said...

That, I must say, is pretty impressive. It really does look like art. Way to go!

Tiffany said...

NICE!

PS-I love the background in your headline...How do you do that???

Loupe and Aaron said...

Your board is very cute- and don't be knockin' your ceramics - they are so creative and take talent and 1 billion times better than I could ever do (any work of art that is unlucky enough to end up in my hands ends up looking like a fourth grader did it [no offense to fourth graders])

Sarah said...

You are creative. And I totally have the same problem with my earrings! I might have to steal this idea but change the colors! I love it! Good work!

Unknown said...

Good idea! It totally doesn't even look like a corkboard! Hmmm, I may need to steal this one for myself. I am constantly looking for matching earrings and let's not even get started on the roving plastic backs! You are such an inspiration!