Thursday, May 7, 2009

Spring

My parents found the coolest thing in their backyard--a hummingbird nest! It's fascinating, and so tiny (not surprising, because hummingbirds aren't big, but it's still neat how small the nest is).

I love the picture of the mama hummingbird because you never see a hummingbird sitting still.

There are two babies in this nest, and they're pretty dang cute. They're about an inch and a half long--they look like black crickets. The really interesting thing about the babies is they have normal bird beaks, not the long ones the adults have. Apparently that develops later. I did not know that. (I'm not an orni-whosiwhatsit* who studies birds, so I make no claim that any of this information is factual. Just observed by a non-animal lover who actually really likes hummingbirds.)

I tried to get a picture of the babies in the nest, but the angle is bad so I apologize that you can't really see the babies. They're in there, I promise, and they're tiny. And cute.
* Yes, I Googled ornithologist, and yes, I went with comedic value over accuracy.

4 comments:

SaMama said...

That's amazing! It's so tiny!!! I think you're just getting all maternal in general so cute little birds are making you go ga-ga. :)

Jess said...

Yes, you are going maternal! How are you feeling? How is moving coming? I wish I was closer and could come help!!

Jessica B Photography said...

I saw the second picture first, and I thought you had those hornworms again!!!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I love little discoveries of nature. Looks like you are not the only one nesting!