Sunday, May 24, 2009

The 100% accurate (but not at all scientific) baby gender test

My sister and brother-in-law have a fun baby gender test--you make a cake that is half pink, half blue, then cover the cake with frosting so you can't see the colored sides. The dad spins the cake while the mom closes her eyes. With her eyes still closed, the mom places the knife on the cake. She then gets to open her eyes so she doesn't cut off her fingers, and she has to cut where she placed the knife. Whatever color slice she gets is the baby's gender.

They did this when Lindsay was pregnant, and she cut a blue slice months before she delivered Daniel. I think Maren even had a friend cut a blue and pink slice, and she had twins. So yes--it's a fabulous non-scientific test that has been correct the half dozenish times Maren and Rikky have done/seen it.

Maren and Rikky made us a cake last Sunday and it justified my recent baby quilt fabric purchase: I got a pink slice. So now we wait a couple weeks to see if their test can remain 100% accurate. I'd hate to be the one to break the trend. Especially with all the cute pink fabric I just bought (I know, I know, I totally tempted the Karma gods).

24 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Jen you look great! I can't wait to hear what you are having.

Rachel B. said...

Okay, I am the lamest person in the world...I just now saw that you were pregnant. I was out of town and in blog la la land when you announced it. So....congrats! Seriously so exciting. I totally bought pink stuff before I knew what I was having too. Sometimes you just can't help yourself. :) I love tests like that and I'm crazy because I totally believe 'em!

Lara said...

What a cute idea! I might have to try this one out next time. :)

The Davis' said...

So fun! I want to get pregnant again now just to try this out! (Let's hope Jared doesn't see this :) )

Jessie said...

That's the best test out there! Anything that involves cake I'm in. Better start baking me one.

The Hills said...

I hope your test is right! Girls are so great! And, I would hate for you not to be able to use your material.

Foxs said...

Hey Prego, you look adorable in these pics. I love this gender test. I have heard the Chinese calendar is a pretty reliable source as well!! :) Can't wait to hear the results!!

Unknown said...

I love the cake thing. Especially since you can eat it afterward! I am learning that girls are VERY fun (especially to shop for at this point). Fun and expensive. I can't wait to find out if the cake was accurate!

Sarah said...

I can't wait to find out if it was accurate! You guys would totally be adorable with a girl or a boy. Whichever! You're having a baby!!! Yippee!

Jessica B Photography said...

Yay! Being pregnant is so exciting! whether you have a girl or a boy :)

Unknown said...

wow! that's such a cute idea! i should have done that this weekend before we found out today!!! good luck on the girl thing, but either way so much fun! congrats again!

SaMama said...

Yay! An update! And PINK!!! I better start a new pink blankie going for you then if I want to get it to you by the time she... um, well graduates college maybe, lol?

Meg said...

I hope the cake is accurate for your sake but are you sure you didn't cheat so that you could justify buying girl material. I would have taken you for having a boy first. Girl clothes and material are so much cuter though. I miss so much buying the little girl dresses and I love buying lexie material even if I never do anything with it. I am excited to find out what you are having for sure. When do you officialy find out and when do you guys move?

Anonymous said...

Oo I'll have to try that when we finally start our family! You have to let us know the results :)

Unknown said...

Ah! I love that test. I may have to try it out on my two sister-in-laws! If you do have a girl (or boy) you will love it. I always thought I would rather have boys, but I don't know what I would do without my Addy. you will be a great mom! Can't wait to hear the results!

P.S. You look great

Rachel said...

What a fun test/tradition! I love it! :) You'll have to try the necklace test too if you haven't already. You look great!
Looking forward to seeing you two this weekend!

Betsy Fowler said...

woo hoo! what a fun idea. Especially since it lended on pink. Way to go soon to be mama Jensen :)

Sarah said...

I can't wait to find out. How far along are you? I think you and Teresa are at about the same place in your pregnancy. so fun.

Maggie said...

So I'm sending off a package to you tomorrow...sorry it won't be there in time for your shower, but hopefully it will arrive before you fly away :( Some Karma God told me that pink was in your future; however, if it turns out to be some mistake, I will send you a new package ;)
Love you, Jen!

Jess said...

I'm so excited to find out what you're having!!! Did you guys move out this past weekend? I thought that was what Heather said. Are you in HI right now? You'll have to email me and give me the udpate. I'm so excited for both of you!!

Dalton Family said...

That is the coolest game ever!!!! I wish I would've tried that! I did the chinese gender chart and it was right with all of my boys! (maybe even with ella?) Anyway, you look so cute! How fun for you guys!

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

I'm am so thrilled that the cake has spoken! I love buying little girl things--so cute!! But...little boy things are also so cute. I guess it's the cute little body that goes in them, eh?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the Karma gods think your baby quilt fabric is so cute, that they won't even be tempted by the baby dresses, girly sandals, and all those other cute, totally girly things you have. ;)

Jessica B Photography said...

We are all anxiously awaiting the "official" medical opinion. (like we need something more official than the cake!?) Hopefully, the baby won't be too modest.