Monday, June 8, 2009

Hawaii. The state where you have to learn to use vowels.

We're here! And I actually have some great pictures (especially one of the bump on the beach; it's cute) but they're stuck in our camera and won't load on the computer. Our laptop doesn't play well with others--it is the old guy on the front porch who yells at the whippersnappers to get off his lawn. The laptop hates basically everything that isn't already and always connected to it. Mean laptop (but by the way, laptop, thank you for the free Internet access).

So, I have no picture updates for you. But I can give you a list of Hawaii thus far.
  • This morning I jogged across Pearl Harbor. Four times (twice round trip). I could see the USS Arizona Memorial and hear the water. It was great. That is going to be my daily exercise routine and I am so excited for it.
  • We have seen several rentals we really like, and have applied for one--keep your fingers crossed we get it. Because as nice as it is to be at our hotel, I really want a house again.
  • Todd has a family friend who lives in Honolulu and she has adopted us and made the transition so much easier. Sally is such a great anchor here.
  • My skin now has tint. Maybe I can actually get a tan. Oooh.
  • Todd started his internship today. And it went well. Yippee! It's like we're real Army folks now.
  • As I said before, I have a really cute pregnant shot of me on a gorgeous beach. We plan to go to that beach as often as possible.
  • I am ever so slowly learning how to pronounce the names here. I'm still such a mainlander.
  • We've been finding our way around the island with a GPS Todd's parents gave him for his birthday, and that has been the most useful thing. I highly recommend it for people who plan to move to a new place. Much less stressful. We're now addicted to our Garmin. I even give her positive affirmation every time she gets us where we want to go. She's our little British pet.

13 comments:

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

I can't wait to see the pictures, and especially to see what house you finally get to nest in, or in Hawaiian, your "homealahakua." And just think, you are a Nevadan in Hawaii, jogging by Arizona. Cool!!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I am jealous of your jogging route. It sounds heavenly! Glad to there the first day of Internship went well. I remember how nervous Greg and I were. Have you started shopping at the commissary or BX yet? Don't loose your ID.....like I did....welcome to the military full time.

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like you have been busy bees. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get your rental. I'm trying to think of when I good time for me to take a Hawaiian vacation would be. When would be a good time for you? I can't wait to see your pictures!

Lara said...

Great! I am glad your transition has been nice and smooth. I can't wait to see pictures!! Oh, and my fingers are crossed!

Katie said...

I'm so jealous you get to LIVE in Hawaii!!! Say hello to Jack, Kate, and Sawyer for me!

Foxs said...

I am so glad to hear you are loving your new location!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

p.s. I am jealous of your running locations!!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to everything said before me! I've never been to Hawaii but I know I'd love it! I've made a life goal to visit the Pearl Harbor memorial sometime in my life, so I am jealous of your jogging route lol!

I hope things continue to go well for you guys! Can't wait to see photos too :)

April said...

How fun for you! I too am jealous of your jogging route, I thought I had a pretty sweet one, but yours sounds awesome. Can't wait to see some pictures! I am glad things are going well!

Megan said...

Glad to hear that everything's going great so far! (How could it not in Hawaii, I guess?) I'd be much more motivated to run if I had your view - sounds awesome. I hope we can visit soon. :-)

Whitney said...

Three cheers for Hawaii! And for British pets! (there are so many politically uncorrect things that popped into my mind when I read that, but, since I have a desire to once again visit Britain, I need to make sure I don't make any enemies there).

Anonymous said...

Ah, hawaii. Sounds amazing. A TAN??? Really? Is it possible for a BC Ripp to get a tan and not a burn? I'm so excited for you! Lol, but really that is cool. Dang ol' codger of a computer. Tell him that if he doesn't upload your pictures, he won't get any ensure. That'll make him think twice.

Sarah said...

So fun! What beach do you go to? Can't wait for pics!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to have children in Hawaii! Your house looks great and I love lanai--can we eat out on it when we come in the fall? I miss you in this territory around here. :( But I talk to the Lord every day about you so I feel like I connect. I love you a whole bunch! Be happy.