Yesterday we hiked to Makapu'u Lighthouse on the southeastern edge of the island. It's not really a hike, because it's a paved trail, but it's fairly steep and isn't just a leisurely stroll, so I'm calling it a hike.
It's a nice trail, about 2 miles long, with fun plants along the way leading to this beautiful lighthouse.
I love the red roof with the bright blue ocean behind it.
Notice my weird neck crane to try to get the lighthouse in the picture? Heh.
Another winter perk about this trail is it's one of the best places to see whales on Oahu. Todd and I hiked it a month ago and saw the backs and spouts of a couple whales, and that made us quite excited.
We went again yesterday so my mom could hopefully see whales, and we were not disappointed. Not at all.

We saw one whale breach at least a dozen times. We watched for about 15 minutes, and it just kept jumping out of the water. It was incredible. We could even hear the splash sound a few seconds delayed--he must've been pretty far out, and must've been huge, though he looked dinky to us.

Our regular, Joe Schmo cameras actually did a pretty good job. However, I've never wanted a nice camera as much as I did yesterday when we got home and looked at what are actually really cool shots of a jumping humpback whale.


I've always wanted to see a whale breach.
The trail ends at the lighthouse, and you also get a spectacular view of the windward side of the island. It's stunning (though we are partial to this side of the island).
The colors in the water are amazing.
On the way home we stopped at Jack in the Box and this beautiful hibiscus was by the drive thru. I love that about Hawaii--beautiful plants are randomly everywhere.
15 comments:
Those pictures are AMAZING! I wanna come back for 2 weeks this time so that I can see everything that I missed the first time. I am so glad that your MOM gets to be there with you!
Wow! Those pictures are awesome! I bet it was amazing to see the whales! I love all the pretty flowers!
Awesome pics of the whales. Can i just say that everything just looks beautiful? Horray for Hawaii :)
"though we are partial to this side of the island"
Is that because "the others" inhabit the other side?
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!! We sisters were just singing that song and trying to figure out the verses. That is SO cool you got to see the whales jumping out of the ocean!!! That and the beautiful flowers might be enough to make up for being "stranded" in Hawaii. Ü I am so excited Mom got to be there too!
Yay for a new post. I could use some Jen. Lucky you, living in such beauty. It rained today here (although I was in Reno), and the best thing was the glistening pavement after I landed. How sad is that?
More travel/hike/walk posts please, so we can live vicariously through you! :)
Warning: Potty Humour Comment :)
Makapu'u Lighthouse: Make-A-Poo Lighthouse
What an appropriate place to take a baby, heh. :)
How gorgeous and cool! A little outing is like a mini-vacation :)
sigh... we really should come visit you guys! All of your updates make me want to jump on a plane NOW haha!
Have you read any good books lately?
how fun!!Well, you won't get those sites here, but you will get others!! :) OK, I just saw your Christmas cookie post, and I am sorry, but that was hilarious. Will you make me some next Christmas? (Can you believe you will be here?!)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Disney Sing-A-Longs. Now I'll be humming that forever!! Seeing that whale was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. But being here with Nadine (and Jen and Todd) is the best part of this whole trip! She is such a happy baby with the brightest smile that lights up the house!
Wow. I really really want to visit you! I will let you use my fancy camera in exchange for free tour guides? deal?
jj
(Jeremy always sings that song! How funny.)
Those pictures are AWESOME! We have always wanted to go whale watching! How exciting! What fun experiences you get to have living there!
I just noticed that I look like a Hobbit. (I guess that is better than looking like a dwarf, but not as cool as an elf.)
Post a Comment