Saturday, January 16, 2010

. . . 10 miles, uphill both ways, in the snow

I'm getting older (more mature); I even recently entered my third decade. Yesterday Todd and I were talking about strange it is we can now say, "Remember when _ was invented?". Todd has a friend who, in college, wrote about what a useless invention the iPod was, because of the battery. Oops.

Once during an activity in our singles ward, Todd wore a Thundercats shirt. A pathetically small number of people there knew what this symbol meant. Sad. Did you?

I have been thinking about the signs you're getting older. (And I'm not complaining about getting older. I actually like the things that come with getting older.)

Complete this sentence: You know you're really an adult when . . ..

I've come up with the following:
. . . you can't resist the appliance section of a store.
. . . you remember life without the Internet.
. . . you know what DOS is.
. . . you tsk the scandalous TV shows and movies of today.
. . . you can't sleep later than 7:30 AM.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

You forgot to add "barefoot" to the in the snow. :)

My sentences look like this:
...you get excited about kitchen gadgets.
...you remember a time when piercings were restricted to ears and tattoos were restricted to bikers.
...you are amazed by "what the kids are saying."

Sarah said...

Oh we have one more...

...you go to the store and the music is too loud.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

.....you learned to type on a type writer.....

SaMama said...

You remember when cell phones were the size of a brick, and weighed about the same. Oh, and only the rich people had them.

Rachel B. said...

Hilarious. I've totally thought about the "life before the internet" one. It's almost strange to think about now. I can't think of any right at this moment, but I will come back if I do. What a funny post!

Lara said...

What a fun post! I totally remember having an atari, what fun times! The only one I could come up with is:
...when you go to bed at 8:30pm.
Yes, it's true. Most nights we go to bed at 8:30 - and almost always on a FRIDAY night. I know, we're losers.
Mark says:
...when the brand of shoes you wear doesn't matter anymore. (apparently he had to have brand name stuff when he was younger).

Julie Somerhalder said...

...When thongs were things you wore on your feet! (I still call them that and my kids just laugh!)

April said...

...when you go to bed before 9pm and it doesn't make you a loser..even on the weekends.
...you remember when cartoons used to be good and worth watching.
...you remember the "oldies"...there are movies that Hyun has never heard of and he is only 3 years younger...of course it could be just because of the culture thing..but still.
...you remember how bad 80s clothes were and don't look forward to them coming back. :)
...you love all the cool kitchen appliances and vacuums make you excited..sad but true

I love this post...I think about things like this a lot

Anonymous said...

... you remember what life was like without a cell phone.

... gas was only $1.00 and even THAT was expensive.

... you get excited when instead of toys you get practical items like Tupperware or a sewing machine for Christmas.

... cartoons like Looney Tunes and Disney's Peter Pan were blatantly politically incorrect and nobody thought twice about it.

... you say things your parents used to.

LOL!! I'm barely reaching my quarter life here, but I still feel like the times they are a changin'

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

So I was schmoozing a kiddo to sleep (anesthesia sleep that is) and I started talking about Smurfs... then said kiddo looked at me like I was on drugs ('cause he didn't know what a smurf was)... I thought EVERYONE knew what a Smurf was... but it didn't matter 'cause I got the best of him in the end... me and my drugs... [Greg]

Betsy Fowler said...

...you can fondly speak of your friends Zack, kelly, Jessie and Slater

...you ever worried about getting cancer from red M&Ms

...you once thought David Hasselhoff was cool.

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

I remember I felt like an adult when I got in the morning and last nights dishes were still on the counter and guess what?? it was my job to take care of them. From here on out.

Tamra Jensen said...

...your kids stop traffic or hold the door open for you while saying, "Senior citizen coming through!!" at the top of their lungs. (They think 38 in ancient.)
...you can really stay up and do or eat all of the things you thought your parents were doing or eating when you had to go to bed.