Saturday, February 27, 2010

If ye are prepared ye shall not fear

We woke up this morning at 6:00 sharp to a piercing, loud, long siren. We'd heard it before, but not for a few months. We started grumbling about why we randomly hear that noise when, a few minutes later, my mom called to tell me a tsunami was heading to Hawaii.

We then waited and watched the news for hours, hoping and praying for what ended up being a very favorable tsunami event. Hawaii was very, very fortunate today.

I started thinking about emergency preparedness. We have 10 gallons of water, plus a box and a half of Costco bottled water. We have a year's worth of food storage. We have 72-hour emergency kits. We have batteries and portable radios. We have lots of extra toilet paper. Today I filled all of Nadine's bottles with water, just in case we lost service.

I am so grateful we have had and do have living prophets on the earth who command us to be prepared for an emergency. I know Thomas S. Monson is a prophet and that God speaks to us through him. I know it is important we be prepared for all kinds of disasters; financial, natural, emotional, spiritual, etc. (have you read this month's First Presidency message?).
Doctrine and Covenants 38:30 says, ". . . if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." I felt that today. The idea of an incoming tsunami was frightening, but I was comforted. We are fortunate to live on a hill and we are outside the "inundation areas;" further, as I stated earlier, we have stockpiled most of the supplies necessary to help us through a disaster.

When the tsunami warning was issued, residents flocked to the grocery stores, Costco, and gas stations to get food and water supplies and gas. The lines were horrendously long. I am so grateful church leaders have, for years, implored us to be prepared for emergencies. I was worried, but I wasn't fearful. Todd was home; we were together and we were prepared, and I knew we would be ok no matter what happened.

Today we were quite lucky and definitely blessed.

9 comments:

Dalton Family said...

What a great post. I'm so glad everything was fine. And I must say how impressed I am that you are THAT prepared having only been in Hawaii a few months. Great job.

SaMama said...

So glad it passed you by! Life in Hawaii is not without weather drama. Next up? Blizzards on the East Coast. Oh the fun you have to look forward to.

Linda said...

What a great testimony of "listening to a prophet's voice." I'm quite impressed with how prepared you are for how young you are! Usually it takes a few more years and a lot more experience before that happens...We're so glad everything turned out okay.

Cara said...

oh, my goodness! my visiting teacher told me there was a tsunami warning and i was so afraid for you guys! i'm just glad you're okay and prepared!

Jessica B Photography said...

Glad you were prepared AND didn't have to use your stuff (didn't have to endure an emergency disaster)!

April said...

I am glad you are ok! And good for you for being so prepared!

Sarah said...

Amen to Laura. That is impressive!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I am glad that you guys are still alive. Scary thing! Good job on the food storage. We always use our before we move and then have to build it up again.

Rachel B. said...

That must have been really scary. I also have to say how very impressed I am that you have so much food storage. We kind of stink in that department. We maybe have a few months. Your example may be the kick in the booty to get me going. Glad you guys are okay!