My dad had a shirt with this saying, and I always thought it was the coolest shirt (apparently I've been a word-nerd for a long time).
Earlier this week we went to Maui with my dad and sister. We had a great time, and it was wonderful to spend time with family.
We stayed in Lahaina in an oceanfront room (hooray for military discounts!). It was gorgeous, and so fun to fall asleep to the sound of waves. From the lanai we could see turtles and many, many whales. Maui is the best place to see them. We saw spouts, fin slaps, and breaching whales. It was so cool.
Most mornings there was a rainbow, and I was obsessed with the rainbow and palm trees and ocean. I took far too many pictures of them, but I actually got some really good shots.
Like the other Hawaiian islands we've been to, Maui has a blow hole. But unlike the other islands, few people seem to know about this one and it's not fenced off--we hiked right down to it and stared into the hole. Quickly though--we had to watch the ocean to gauge whether a huge plume was coming. It was really cool to see the water swirling around, and then to jump back as the water rushed through. The water would go 25+ feet into the air sometimes. We got soaked. Two days later my hoodie hadn't dried; it's probably still damp.
The rocks around the blow hole are gorgeous, as were the many stark colors.
Near the blow hole is this gorgeous view.
There's also a heart in the rocks. Probably not natural, but fun nevertheless.

Besides Waikiki (which we avoid like the plague) Hawaii doesn't have many tourist shopping areas. Which is part of the islands' charms. But it was nice to spend an afternoon in Lahaina looking through shops.
We finally got a picture with the cool trees.
We also went to Iao Valley. It was pretty; very windy. Also, Whitney almost kicked a giant centipede of sadness while we were there. Huge scary bugs put a damper on being outside.
My requisite Hawaii pictures (well, besides a picture of a bug, which I didn't get) are cool plants. This one looked like it was tie-dyed. Totally a rastafari plant.
And I loved both these flowers. The first one looks like it might be some kind of ginger plant, but the flower is different from any I've seen and I love it.
10 comments:
I wonder if that blow hole is the same one I went to with Dad and Mom when I was over there. That was pretty cool. How neat you get to see so many whale things! I like the flowers too.
How beautiful! Love the pics, makes me want to visit. I can't get over the awesomely cool plants that just grow there, all by themselves. I am such a deprived desert rat, I know.
What adventures being a military wife offers! You will definitely see ALL of Hawaii. Not just Waikiki like the rest of us. It is time to come to Europe and see some castles?
How fun! My parents LOVED Maui, and I've always wanted to go. That blow hole is so cool! Great pictures too!
I want to go to Maui! I love the pics! It looks like you guys had such a nice time! How fun that your fam gets to come and see you too!
How cool! I like learning new play[s] on words (is that how you would say it?). So are rainbows a common thing there? Beautiful pictures. I love the sound of waves, too. Whenever I'm near swaying trees in the breeze, I close my eyes and imagine that they're waves ;)
I can't believe you live in Hawaii!! You are so lucky to be able to see all these beautiful things. I don't wake up to gorgeous rainbows and whales frolicking in the water. I have kids late for the school bus and babies crying with snotty noses! BUT I LOVE them - it would just be nice to switch you for one morning :)!! After reading this post I told Bran we're coming to visit!! What? You're there till July right?
I remember seeing those "cool trees" when Ryan and I were in Hawaii. I thought they were so neat. I need to find out what they are called.
Dad standing over that blow hole brings back fun memories of him dancing away from the shooting water in years past.
The flowers are exquisite!
The nasty encounter with the centipede of nastiness is creepily intriguing and I honestly felt myself hoping you had a photo so my skin could crawl with the thought of it. Weird.
Didn't you think the area around the blow hole was crazy? We thought it looked like aliens had a fight with acid there.
Post a Comment