Friday, March 19, 2010

Fool me twice, shame on me

Remember what happened the last time I baked? I am a slow learner and attempted baking again.

Todd loves German Chocolate Cake*, and my mom has an excellent recipe she has perfected. For Todd's birthday last year, my sister Kelsey, who is a baking princess, made the cake for him. I had never made this recipe. Until yesterday.
Making a cake from scratch is so much dang work. Most baked things are better from a box, except cookies and this recipe. Making it from scratch helped me see just why it's so fantastic. Whipped egg whites in the batter? No wonder the cake is as light as a cloud.

The cakes baked perfectly, and after I transferred them to the cooling rack there was very little carnage. Phew.
The final product.
It's not pretty (I don't do pretty--remember the orc cookies?!) but it tastes fantastic. Success!


*Greg and Nic: do Germans eat German Chocolate Cake? Or is this dessert a misnomer like Hawaiian Haystacks? True story: one evening in a meeting at church, everyone started randomly talking about Hawaiian Haystacks. They made fun of and couldn't understand the very concept (which is sad, because it's a super yum dish) and wondered where the dish got its name and why they'd been stuck as its origin. So "haystacks" having absolutely nothing, at all, ever, to do with Hawaiians. We shall have to call them Chicken Sundaes from now on.

Is German Chocolate Cake a misnomer? I've always wondered that.

10 comments:

Kerstin said...

I love German Chocolate cake, it is one of my favs and I have always had it made from scratch (though I have never attempted making it myself). Good job I am sure it tasted great!
Also I know you didn't ask me the question about the origins of German Chocolate cake but I do know the answer. German Chocolate Cake (or German Chocolate for that matter) did not originate in Germany. A man with the last name German came up with a recipe for chocolate for Baker's Chocolate Company and the company named the chocolate after him. The original recipe for German Chocolate Cake required use of this chocolate and was therefore named German Chocolate Cake.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I have never had German Chocolate cake in Germany. I have never seen it in a bakery either. Frankly, the cakes here in Germany are not as sweet as in the states, which is great once you get used to it. But can be a little disappointing at first. The cakes look fabulous behind the glass at the bakery. So.....sorry Todd.....no german chocolate cake here. But black forest cake is authentic. I haven't tried it yet though.

Todd said...

That was easily one of the best cakes I've ever tasted. My wife is a baking genius!

Also, with regards to the Hawaiian Haystacks -- It was hilarious because all the Hawaiians were almost outraged that something like that would be named after them. They just don't know what they are missing. :)

We'll definitely have the try the black forest cake.

Larysa said...

Oh....I remember that cake from Todd's birthday last year (Whitney and I were there crashing for all the parties and the Phantom). It was fantastic! And yours looks amazing...well done. It may not be picture perfect, but it looks edible, desirable even. :D

Can't you call anything Hawaiian if you throw pineapple on it?

April said...

I would eat it! Good job for making it! Todd is a lucky guy!

Jessica B Photography said...

my mom makes the frosting from scratch. She once asked me to help while I was at her house and I about nearly ruined it. It was still edible but I knew there were questionable chunks in it. :)

Chris served his mission in Germany. He says the cheesecakes over there are much better (& different) than a New York cheesecake. (I know - we weren't discussing cheesecakes, I just thought I'd throw that one out there!)

Maggie said...

Hooray for yummy German Chocolate Cake! And the bakers who make them :) Happy Belated Birthday, Todd! Did you get your package, btw?

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

Happy Birthday, Todd!!! To help you celebrate, we'll take your wife and daughter for 10 wonderful days and play and laugh in your honor! And I'm glad you have delicious GCC to enjoy for days. With milk. And a good book. Hmmm.

Jess said...

That cake looks delicious with all that coconut frosting on top!! That is my favorite cake of all time!! Nice job!

Foxs said...

wow, a cake from scatch. I have NEVER made a cake from scratch, always a box. You are amazing! It was so fun seeing you and your cute baby last week at lunch. Thanks for including me!!