I don't enjoy baking, and I'm not good at it, so I don't know why I even attempted a new recipe. The only things I can bake are my aunt's sugar cookies, and even those didn't work with all the humidity here. Sigh.
I wanted to make Christmas cookies for the women I visit teach, and I found the cutest reindeer cookies online.
I've always loved peanut butter/Hershey Kiss cookies, but I had no idea there was such an art to making this type of cookie. There really, really is.
Here's what the cookies are supposed to look like. Adorable, aren't they!

Here are mine.
They look like orcs.
The pretzel antlers didn't even attempt to stick, and the cookies collapsed around the M&M noses. And then I moved the cookies to the cooling rack. Disaster quadrupled.
Do you see the antler carnage? Yikes.
So I made better, less cute use of the random bazillion Christmas M&Ms we now have.
Slightly better, but still ugly. I'm not sure I'm going to embarrass myself by giving them away. The cookies taste ok, though they're really dry. How I managed to make too-dry cookies on a rainy Hawaiian afternoon is beyond me.
The first batch got relegated to the Plate of Shame.
The ugliest cookie ever says Merry Christmas. ;)
22 comments:
HAHAHAHA! Oh my gosh this is seriously hilarious! I love this. Thanks for giving me a good lol, Jen!
This is funny!!! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes cookies just don't work. :( I make drop cookies not cute ones like that.
Absolutely hilarious!! (Though I'm sure it wasn't so much to you at the time.) It certainly makes for a great post!
Oh my goodness, Jen! I am dying of laughter right now...Really, I can't stop.
Thanks for sharing that!
I am laughing out loud hysterically right now!!! Oh my gosh! I love that you posted this! But I do feel for you, it sucks putting time into baking and then it's no good. That happened with my pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving :(
Thanks for the laugh!
You're completely awesome. I love your sad reindeer cookies. I'd eat them! I tried to do fancy cookies one year and it was a disaster too. So now I stick to the classics: pumpkin chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, and chocolate chip. If it isn't one of those, I don't attempt it.
You so funny! You made me laugh on this blah sunday morning. I bet the antlers didn't stick because of the humidity. I think they still look yummy. I would eat them......well maybe that isn't saying much.....
I was cracking up as I read your post. It looks like a Lord of Rings battle scene. All you need is walking trees. I had not thought of how humidity would jack up your baking. Sad. I say give them anyways- what have you got lose? People might not talk to you in Relief Society?? ;)
Ah Jen! I am sorry! I still think they are cute! I too would eat them. I love to bake and I very rarely try to make the cute things...way too complicated. I remember making little lions for Addy's 1st birthday. I thought it might take me an hour...ended up taking like 4.
Don't give up. Keep trying. :)
I love reading about your creative baking and making activities. Those who come up with the idea sure always make it look easier than it is.
I need your address.
Hilarious! This seriously made me laugh. I too always end up going for basic treats because what I envision (or what I'm trying to copy) just never turns out quite right. Those magazine people are all fakers with their photoshop anyway! :)
HA HA HA. They don't (really) look like orcs... That made me laugh out loud. :)
At least you attempted to be creative. Good for you.
Those cookies sure are cute (or at least are supposed to be.) =) You get an A+ for effort and for making me laugh.
Oh my goodness! Jen, you are so funny! I laughed right out loud at your "they look like orcs" comment.
Ditto! Really too funny! I love the orcs and reindeer carnage! I have no skills at food presentation either. I just try to make it taste good- look good too is completely beyond me.
You totally made my day! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I can relate to the plate of shame. Nothing ever turns out like the picture. I love that you can laugh at yourself and your cookies! Thanks for the giggle and Merry Christmas!
I'm still giggling. I'll giggle all night. I won't be able to fall asleep because I'll think of your narrative and giggle. It reminds me of Nightmare Before Christmas! Those magazine fakers sit on a throne of lies! And I would eat your cookies and giggle non-stop and choke and still enjoy them. I wish I was there to laugh with you! And leftover M&M's are always a plus. Ü
That's really funny! They do look like orcs! Aunt Kimmy told me I need to read this post because she said it was hilarious -she was right!
That is too funny!!
It has taken me a while to get on here but I need to set the record straight. When I off work the next day I went home and tried the cookies. They were FANTASTIC! I didn't see the ones that were supposed to look like the ones in the picture. But had the ones that she made into normal cookies and they tasted amazing. I think I ate both plates of cookies that day. Thanks Jen for making cookies and then not giving them away so that I can eat them all. You don't mind a chubby husband do you? :)
oh Jen, that is so funny! That reminds me of what happens when I try to bake....never quite works out the way it was supposed to. I am sure they were baked with love, though!!!
Jen
This made me so happy!! TOTALLY something that would happen in my kitchen! I love that I look at the picture and think, oh, yeah, I could totally do that...until the sad reality hits.
Hope your holidays were fabulous!!
Post a Comment