Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The joys of babyhood


Do you remember this song? It is one of the few Sesame Street songs I have remembered and loved for years; I sing it to Nadine quite often. She'll be so retro and cool.

It got me thinking about the other things parents do to try to jump-start their kids' learning. In addition to the nerdiness of me singing a Sesame Street song I learned when I was little, we also bought a few toys for Nadine because she is tracking and focusing on things.

We bought these ADORABLE hand and wrist bugs, in colors infants and babies can see. They don't do her much good now, and she doesn't notice them, but they make me so excited for when she'll realize her feet and hands actually belong to her. And that her feet have fun toys on them.
We also got this ginormous peacock to hang from her car seat. I thought the bird was so blasted cute, with all the colors and layers. And though I knew Nadine can't see the colors yet, at least there was something she could look at during the few moments she's awake in the car.
But then we opened the package and saw the back of the peacock.
Genius! "Colors" a newborn can see, with fun patterns. What a cool toy.

So, I'm sure these toys, songs, etc. won't necessarily quicken her progression, but I know it can't hurt to stimulate her brain as much as possible. Plus, it's just so fun.

Do you guys have any "smarty" things your babies/kids enjoy?

9 comments:

SaMama said...

The Baby Einstein videos that play in French, Spanish, or English. Children learn "other" languages effortlessly until age 3. It's no different than learning their primary language for them.

Andrea said...

We bought Tori a black and white mobile for in her crib when she was that age. She loved it and would look at it for a VERY long time! We actually attached it onto her changing table and she would watch it while we were changing her diaper.

Unknown said...

Faces. My babies have all just loved faces. If you have a mobile, you can cut big cute baby/kid/clean shaven faces out of magazines and tape them to your mobile and let Nani watch them. It's fascinating and cheap! Just be sure to remove them before she's big enough to reach them, pull them off and eat them! :)

April said...

Addyson always loved books. I bought her tons of books and although she wouldn't always sit and "listen" to them, she loved the pictures. I would just sit her on my lap and go through books with her.

keithnjeni said...

I love the Ladybug Picnic! I've sung it to my kids so many times but they've never actually seen it-how funny. It's even cuter than I remember.
My kids always liked it when I read to them. I also played classical music sometimes - I believe it helps stimulate their brains.

Jess said...

I thoughts of you the other day as I flipped through the Pottery Barn Kids catalog because they have whole bedroom sets in Dr Suess. Very cute!

Loupe and Aaron said...

At first I thought your peacock was a butterfly- but doesn't matter because it is so cute and so eye catching!!! Those little socks are so adorable too!!!

Tiffany said...

TV ;)

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

The peacock eyes remind me of Nadine's big eyes---so cute!! I've always been a huge fan of singing to them for patterns in rhythm and words, and catchy ways to memorize subconsciously numbers, alphabet, days of the week, phone-numbers, whatever. And you can do it anywhere without props! I really loved that Disney (I think) cassette with all the old-fashioned songs on it like "momma's little baby loves shortnin' bread" and "what do you do with a drunken sailor?" and others. Do you remember it?