Because this is our first Christmas with a non-newborn, we had to consider the possibility of sitting Nadine on Santa's lap. We're into photo ops, and a child on Santa's knee seems to be one of the quintessential ones (I love that word; many thanks to my Communications Law professor for introducing it to me). We passed Santas set up in the malls, and Santa was available at our church party. But we didn't get a picture with Nadine on Santa's lap.
We did this mainly because Santa arrived during Nadine's bedtime, and she's really not into people who aren't me or Todd.

As I have stated many times on this blog, I am a bit paranoid, and I think that plays into the Santa picture thing. We've decided we're never going to force Nadine into physical contact with people--no forced hugs/kisses from "great-aunt So and So," etc. If she doesn't want to go near someone, she won't have to; it's important for her to listen to and follow her feelings. So how does that work if we force her to sit on a stranger's lap? It doesn't.
She may be the only child in history never pictured on Santa's knee. Oh well.
5 comments:
I totally think dress up Santas are SCARY, except for the old guy in BC. And this may show how messed up I am :) but they all seem a bit pedophile (I am sure they aren't but some mall Santas appear that way) like to me. Addy and Emma did sit on Santa's lap this year though, but only cuz Chase was Santa and Hyun was taking the pictures. :)
I don't think you're grinchy. Clayton and Noah have always been very 'stranger friendly' (which we've had to talk at length about as they got older), so Santa has never been a big deal to either of them. Josie is a little more wary of Santa and she didn't get a picture on his lap this year either. I held her and we went near him, and that was enough for her. I agree, you should never force your kid to have physical contact with someone who makes them uncomfortable - even if it's a relative!
Eh, maybe I'm too laidback, but I don't think a kid ever ended up in therapy because he was trsumatized by NOT sitting on Santa's lap. When she gets older she can write her wish list on paper, make it into a paper airplane, then see if she can get it right at his hat. :)
I don't have pictures with my kids on Santa's lap. I agree, there is no reason to force children to sit on his lap, when they don't want to. The lines were always too line for my taste, plus I always wonder "maybe there is a creep under that beard."
If they're too young to care, or old enough to trust YOUR judgement, then it's fine. But scared little ones are not fun!..and shouldn't be laughed at. Their fear is very real to them, and I agree that you should validate them in what they feel and take it seriously. Fings.
Post a Comment