Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Practice, practice, practice!*

I have revamped my place mats. The main reason for this is I mistakenly washed them, and most of them became horribly frayed. The Christmas ones were completely shot, which made me sad. BUT, as you shall see, it all worked out for the best.

The first place mats I made were really just glorified pillow cases. Really cute pillow cases, but pillow cases nonetheless. Not very practical for eating. Fortunately, I have learned a bit about sewing, and I actually listened to my mom who knows much about sewing.

For this new batch . . .
  • I went matchy-matchy with the coloring (remember how my matchy-matchy Thanksgiving ones ended up being my favorite?).
  • I used fusible interfacing to keep the seams ironed and flat and in control.
  • I ironed!
  • I didn't double the place mats (Thanksgiving on one side, Halloween on the other); this is less space-friendly, but it's much easier for eating.
  • I used double-fold bias tape around the edges to further flatten everything; plus it makes them pop.
And I am so very happy with how the new Christmas ones look.
Todd picked the fabric on the back--it's so fun! Cute ornaments.
I used the previous Thanksgiving and Halloween ones (especially because the Thanksgiving ones were so marvelous), tore all the outer seams, cut to make them less wide, ironed, interfaced, and bias taped. I've only finished two Halloween ones, but here's the finished product. I'm not sure what I think of the bright orange binding, but it's definitely Halloweeny.
I absolutely adore the fabric I got for the back of most of the fall mats. I was giddy when it was on sale.


*This quote comes to my mind often. The person has a (Russian?) accent, but only for this phrase. Google said it's from "Sneakers." Does anyone know if that's correct? Now I want to watch "Sneakers."

7 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I love them! They turned out great. I like the orange on the Halloween and Thanksgiving mats. Good for you for reusing and redoing a project. That takes some skills......I can't wait to be back in the land of capitalism, where you can find anything and everything, including cute fabric......

Anonymous said...

I don't remember that particular quote from "Sneakers", but that is a good movie. My parents might have it. You can ask them next time you are in town.

SaMama said...

Love the black and white polka dots, way to be non-traditional. :)

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me! Very good (inexpensive) idea it is to make your own placemats.

Linda said...

I've watched "Sneakers" many times, but perhaps it's time for another viewing...I LOVE your trendy placemats. Great job!

April said...

I love the placemats! So cute! You are so good with colors and such!

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

The placemats are absolutely fantastic! The seam binding around the edges makes them look very finished, and they do "pop" with color. Good call. And now I have that song stuck in my head..."practice, practice, practice" from Swan Princess when the prince practices all the time in order to win her back, I guess. I don't know if that's what you had in mind, but it's in my head now and will probably be there in the morning, too. Thanks for that.