Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We can't stop patting ourselves on the back (which I know is prideful, but . . . whatever)

When I bought my house 8ish years ago, I bought a set of living room furniture at a garage sale. The upholstery is hideously ugly and dated, and itchy, but the cushions are actually really soft and it has fantastic wood detailing.

About six (maybe even seven) years ago I bought fabric to re-cover the loveseat. But I knew this was a lofty project that I hesitated to begin, so the fabric has either been in a drawer or haphazardly draped on the loveseat.

So, on December 30 (a month and a half ago; this was a LONG time coming) I finally decided to see how much effort it would really take to re-cover the dang thing. I had to use a screwdriver to pop out the wood covers on top of the screws that hold the wood panels into place. 60+ years of glue made that sometimes difficult, and I scratched the crap out of some of the holes. But we removed the panels. That was a huge first step (and, now that it was scratched and somewhat disassembled, we were forced into action).
Next I cut the back of the couch to reveal its inner workings. We saw that the main cushion is really only held in place by staples and elbow grease (well, and the springs; but we decided to just put the new fabric directly over the old, which saved lots of time and headache), so we got excited as we realized this was actually something we could do. The fabric was barely not wide enough to be pulled and stapled, so I used my sewing machine to sew two panels to either side of the fabric.


Luckily Todd has a staple gun; this project would've been near impossible without it. And it was really fun to use.
Then we got to work on the sides. In order to do as good of a job as the original, we'd need to take apart the arms (this is a really well made couch). I wasn't willing to risk us being unable to reassemble the couch, so we rigged it using techniques we saw as we disassembled the couch. 


Todd is very handy and an excellent problem solver, so he figured out ways to seamlessly integrate one piece of fabric into another. You can barely tell that the arms have two different pieces of fabric. And that some of it is tacked with cardboard and staples.

The wood panels on the arms made it much easier to drape the fabric on the arms (we totally learned draping on Project Runway), because the seams were covered by the wood panel.
I hand-sewed several parts, like the piece of fabric across the front, but it was actually enjoyable because I got to use an upholstery needle. That's an addicting implement (yes, I know how nerdy that sounds).
I hand-sewed the seat cushions, because I didn't want the stress of figuring out how to do it on the machine. They're not perfect, but they look pretty good, and as of last night they're done!
The finished product is AMAZING. I know we shouldn't toot our own horns, but seriously, I'm so happy with it. Now I want to bring it back into the living room (too bad we don't have space for it). I love that the wood detail stands out so well in it now--it got lost in all that horrible yellow and brown before. Though we now have the problem of owning a white piece of furniture (yikes; obviously I bought the fabric years before having children was even an issue), but that's ok--if it gets nasty, we'll just cover it again.

Here's a before and after (I wish I would've taken a better "before").

21 comments:

Unknown said...

You win the 'Miss Crafty' award for sure. When I was young I remember my mom reappholstering our living room furnature and I remember what a pain that was for her.
Also, I went to a class once to learn how to reappholster furnature and after that class decided it was WAY out of my skill set so I'm seriously impressed with you (and Todd) right now.
Your couch looks awesome and you have every right to feel proud and brag about it. I would.

Whitney said...

Yay! It looks wonderful! Well worth leaving your sister at the Baltimore airport for an hour :)

It really does look good. Way to be crafty AND clever.

Whitney said...

Oh, and I'm sad I never got to see that fantastic needle.

I want one.

Jen said...

We really did abandon Whitten at the airport. Sigh.

Cara said...

i'm beyond impressed! you and todd are both geniuses! and i love the fabric!

Lara said...

Awesome!!! It looks fantastic!! Good job, you two! I love the fabric you picked too - yes, it's white but it is so pretty!

Larysa said...

It is gorgeous!! You most definitely have bragging rights! The fabric is fantastic. Just have a bleach pen handy for the white parts and you will be good.

Linda said...

WOW! You SHOULD pat yourselves on the backs!! That is bee-yoo-tee-ful! I love the new fabric! What a difference!

Rachel B. said...

Just like everybody has said, WOW! We have a couch that just has slipcovers on it. Maybe I should try recovering it. Maybe. So impressed!

Jenae said...

That is amazing! I want to recover our couch (which looks fine, but it's light covered and we also have a child- as you know.) But the job is totally intimidating. I am impressed with your bravery. Maybe once Eli ruins this couch I will recover it... or hire you.

jj

Jessie said...

I'm speechless I am so impressed! Good work Miss Crafty. No more "Becoming" Miss Crafty. You have acheived!

Maren and Rik said...

Ya, you two are amazing! That is a pretty cool needle too! :) (Also, poor Whitten. I'm sure she'll see it soon!)

Ashlee said...

Amazing!!! I ditto everyone's comments, and add that I'm uber impressed!!! :)

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

I cannot tell you how amazing you and Todd are!! SO impressive! What a fun thing to do together! The wood does contrast so beautifully now. This is an elegant piece of furniture! Wow and major kudos. Dad says it looks wonderful.He's a man of few words.
Now you can put plastic on your couch like in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding!"
(Ewww) I liked how you cleverly sewed extra pieces onto the sides so it would fit. You're good.

Deb said...

seriously, it looks so good. i am in love with that toile.

Andrea said...

Amazing...truly amazing! That's all I can say about that!

Foxs said...

Goodness, you make that sound so gosh-darn easy! I always hear of people buying old furniture at garage sales and then turn it into something gorgeous. You are inspiring me to try and make-over something!! :)

Rachel said...

That.Is.AMAZING!!! I love, love, love it! What an incredible project that turned out so fantastic!! You SHOULD be super proud of yourselves. Wow. I love the fabic and it just looks so good!! Way to go Jen (and Todd)!!!

Megan said...

That is absolutely amazing, Jen!! I'm so impressed by your craftiness. You go right ahead and toot your own horn - you earned it!

And I must say, back when I was working on my first house, I discovered how incredibly fun staple guns are too. :-)

April said...

WOw! I know I already commented about this on facebook, but you did an amazing job. I remember those couches and I am so impressed that you took it upon yourself to do them. Holy Cow you are amazing!

Jessica B Photography said...

This is gorgeous Jen! Wow, good job!!!