Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gmail is watching (and I think I like it)

I use Gmail as my primary personal e-mail account, and I love it.

They track the e-mails you send and customize their unobtrusive ads based on what your e-mails are saying (I know there's a term for this, but I don't care to remember it or look it up; in my Luddite defense, I went to college when e-mail was still a relatively new thing. Back when I walked barefoot through the snow, both ways, to school.).

I used to be a bit annoyed to know I was being so closely monitored.

But then I sent an e-mail to my brother-in-law giving him the tracking number for a package I sent. I didn't tell him which delivery company I used, just gave him the tracking number. Then today, after he responded to my e-mail, I got this ad from Google.
How cool is that?! It knows I'm interested in the package and it will track it for me.

Maybe sometimes having a Big Brother isn't a bad thing. Ü

5 comments:

Megan said...

Cool! But kinda creepy, too. I'd have to get used to that. :-)

I just realized I never responded to your text asking about my Thanksgiving. But I guess you got to read about it anyway. I wasn't blowing you off - just got busy and then sidetracked. Happens often.
I hope your Thanksgiving (and birthday) were great too.

Unknown said...

I like google's ads as well. I have found quite a few of them very useful!

Betsy Fowler said...

"Luddite"?? Geez you're a nerd sometimes Jen.... And that is why i like you :)

Meg said...

I guess it is good you like having a big brother. You should move to California because they want to watch and protect everything. They are so kind and considerate and so controlling. Oh well I like some of the things and hate others. Oh I bought a Dyson over Thanksgiving. Haven't used it yet I just love staring at it in the box. But I can't wait to get it out.

Jess said...

That's crazy. I just use hotmail and they don't have any cool features like that!
Also, when is it you're coming up again? I'd still like to get together with Bran this time.
Thanks for the great taser info too. I want one!! For Bran's Christmas present he got a gun. So I feel a little better about having some type of protection. But now I need something!