Monday, December 22, 2008

Professor Plum, in the kitchen, with the paint

After being in the house for 4 years, and having spent more than half our marriage without cabinet doors, our kitchen project is finished.

Early this year Todd started sanding the kitchen cabinets--the house was built in early 1950, so we have great old quality cabinets that have been covered in paint. We were hoping to restore them to their intended glory. However, after Todd sanded all the upper cabinet doors when he wasn't busy (ha), we realized we'd bitten off more than we could chew and it made more sense to just repaint the cabinet doors instead of staining the entire kitchen.

We found a fantastic kitchen example at Lowe's and loved the color scheme and ideas. Thus began the transformation. Todd found out from the paint mixer this paint is their most requested color right now. And I understand that. It's perfect. "Ponytail." Mmmmm.

Here's the kitchen before--notice how the stark whiteness of everything totally accentuates the atrocious yellow and blue counter top (they even painted over the hinges).

And here's our kitchen now, with the crown moulding (yes, they camouflaged crown moulding) and door frames and old-school light and cabinet drawers and doors repainted, and new beautiful hardware. I LOVE how it turned out. Todd did a great job.

We repainted the hallway closet, too. I think that's my favorite part. I used to cover it up with my aprons because it was so blah and monochromatic; now I've found a new place for my aprons.

We're hoping these changes will make the kitchen less intimidating when we sell the house. I wish I would have done this years ago--I really enjoy the kitchen now.

(Sorry, I tried to take the pictures and make a collage, but I now officially hate Picasa.)

10 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! It looks awesome! You guys did a great job. It does stink that you're not going to get to enjoy for long, though.

That's an interesting name for your paint color - my question is "WHO'S ponytail?"

Jessica B Photography said...

Yay! congratulations!! It looks great and I bet it feels so good to walk into your kitchen now, having it done. Our house was full of painted-over hardware and I was so disgusted. Don't people have any sense???

Rachel said...

Oooo..Ahhh...Ohhhh. Very nice. It looks great and very well done. How fun to feel like you have a brand new kitchen. Kitchens are one of my FAVORITE places in the house... except when there are dirty dishes... Too bad Boulder City is completely too far from Jeremy's work or we'd come buy your cute house! :) At least you have 6 more months to enjoy it. Maybe your next kitchen will be looking out at the ocean!! ;) (Congrats on the internship placement too!)

Jess said...

I am SO impressed with your painting skills. Seriously, your kitchen looks awesome!!
Also, CONGRATS on the next phase of your life. How exciting - HAWAII!!!! Are you prepared for lots of visitors crashing on your floor? Ha Ha! DC is an amazing city too. You'll be so far away though! I'm really excited for you guys. When are you leaving?

Unknown said...

It looks great! I love the color that you guys chose. It makes me want to paint my kitchen cabinets.

Sarah said...

Looks good! Are you guys in town? We'll be here until the 6th.

Sarah said...

It looks wonderful! Congrats on getting it finished! I don't always love the painting part but I love the finished project!

Foxs said...

Ohh, pretty! You have such great taste!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

The kitchen looks great! Looks like you are getting ready for the big move. How exciting! After we got our house ready to sell....I thought the same thing. We should have done this years ago. Oh well.....

Thanks for the placemats. I love them!

Lara said...

Looks good!! Don't you just love doing something new and different in the house! - especially the kitchen! You both did an excellent job! :)