Wednesday, December 17, 2008

These boots were made for walkin'

I am writing this from my hotel in Reno. I was supposed to fly home tonight, but it's SNOWING in Las Vegas, so they closed the airport there and cancelled my flight. Apparently it's just insane down there right now; Las Vegas is not equipped for snow. I love this cool picture the Review-Journal took.

I was really anxious to go home, but not just because I've been in Reno since Monday. This morning at 3:00 a.m. (yikes!) Todd and I found out about his residency.

He got into an anesthesia residency, which is the most important part. And we learned that although I really want boots such as these, I will need boots, and scarves and tights and hats and gloves and . . . because his residency is in Washington DC! Isn't that exciting?! I know the poll, and Jen, wanted San Antonio more than DC, but really, we had great choices either way. I'm so happy.

But I can't use those boots just yet, because for the year before DC we're going somewhere that looks a lot like this.

The internship year is in Hawaii!!!!!! I am SO very excited about that. That was our #1 choice for our DC internship, but I had pretty much discounted it, so it was a fun surprise. We have to be there July 1, and I'm glad I can finally start planning where we might live, how to find housing, what to do with our cars and house full of crap, etc.

So, one year in Hawaii, then the next three years in DC. What a fantastic voyage. Ü I can't wait to get started. As soon as I make it back home.

16 comments:

Kerstin said...

Wow! Congrats on DC and Hawaii!! Those places both sound like great adventures. Also I should totally come visit you guys while you are in Hawaii;).

Andrea said...

Jen...I am SO happy for you guys! Hawaii is going to be AMAZING...and DC will be fun because you are SO close to SO much! Wow...that's AWESOME Todd is going to be an anesthesiologist (man, did I spell that right? Probably not...oh, well!). He is going to make the BIG bucks! Well, at least until Obama socializes everything!

The Ortega Family said...

Jen that is super exciting! I am happy you are excited about this all! You are missing some fun here though! this snow is awesome, we really do have a winter wonderland...it hasnt stopped snowing since it started at 11 AM....I have 8 inches in my front yard! Make it home safe!!!

Sarah said...

Yippee!!! That's so exciting! PS Danny got stranded in Phoeniz if it makes you feel any better. And it is seriously a crazy mess out here! We are so not equipped for this kind of weather! Good luck getting home tomorrow!

Jessica B Photography said...

Congratulations!! Hawaii and DC both sound like exciting places to live (although I did vote for San Antonio) Good luck getting home!

Tiffany said...

JEN!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! YOU ARE MISSING ALL THE SNOW FUN! This is seriously once in a lifetime snow for Vegas! It is so fun! (as long as you don't have to drive...you can imagine. Nobody out here knows what to do in snow) There are 4 wheelers driving up and down my street. EVERYONE is so nice today...because everyone is so thrilled! We were sledding ghetto style in our cooler! IT'S AWESOME!

Oh, and awesome news about DC and Hawaii! ;)

Cara said...

hooray! i'm so excited about your residency! i love love love dc...we'll totally come visit you there! that's so exciting! especially about hawaii. :)

The Bames said...

Jen, I am so Jealous! Oahu has to be one of my most favorite places on earth! You will have so much fun the next few years! Congrats!!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to visit you in Hawaii!! I don't think we'll still be in New England when you get to DC but hopefully we'll still be within decent driving distance. I'm so excited for you guys (and more than a little jealous)!

Dalton Family said...

NO WAY!!! That is soooooo great!!! I am so excited for you! What an adventure!

Heidi and Rich said...

Wow - that is so exciting. Who wouldn't love Hawaii?!?! Rich and my sister both lived in DC for sometime and they both loved it. So much to look forward to!!

April said...

Jen, I am so excited for you guys! I am jealous you will be living in Hawaii, but what a fun adventure for Todd and you! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Larysa said...

Wow!! Hawaii and D.C.!! That is so exciting! I bet both of those places will be amazing! How often to get the chance to go live in Hawaii?!?

Foxs said...

That is SOO exciting. I am totally excited for your guys. You get to live in Hawaii for a year, WOW! What are we going to do without our PP dinners?!?

Aaron said...

Congratulations Todd, on getting your anesthesiology residency. Yeah, for not having to rely on someone else to allow you to move on to the next step anymore. Well, I guess you can add Lindsay and I to your already large and growing list of expected visitors when you are in both Hawaii and D.C.

Sarah said...

Hawaii?!? That's so exciting. You'll love it. It'll be just enough time to get a great tan and learn to surf but not enough time to really get the island fever. So fun. And I'm so excited for you to be in DC. You'll love living on the East Coast for a few years. So many places to visit...