Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring forward

So for the first time in my life, I slept through a time change and was late for something--something important, such as church. We were 45 minutes late. Only because we got texted by my dad and our brother-in-law. If not, we would have arrived for church an hour late thinking we were totally on time. We're dorks.

Fortunately we have several lame excuses, as follows:
  • The "spring" time change (it's not even spring!) is usually the first weekend-ish of April. Not the middle of March.
  • No one told us to remember the time change (and apparently we're not official adults yet, so we need reminders or we whine)
  • I was in a media blackout all weekend--I didn't read the paper (which had reminders) or visit the Internet, or watch TV. And in my defense, I had media blackout because it felt like it was 80 degrees outside Saturday morning and I was working in the yard.
  • My cell phone didn't get the memo about changing its time at 2 AM, so my alarm was not valid
I believe that's the end of my sad excuses. How embarrassing for us. It actually was hilarious and I couldn't stop giggling about it last night.

And p.s., why don't we revolt and just get rid of these stupid time changes? Arizona (and I think a few other states who aren't as close to my own so I don't remember their names) don't participate in the time changes. Good for them. Another reason to settle in Arizona.

Has anyone else done this? Were we the only ones who missed the memo yesterday? (This cute family in our ward arrived at the building 10 minutes after us, so at least we had company.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am with you!! I hate daylight savings time! Although I don't mind that it stays lighter later! We weren't late for church fortunately, but when we got to church yesterday there were about 20 people there (I am serious), so you are definitely not alone!

I would have been in a media blackout too, if it were 80 degrees outside!

Meg said...

How funny. I would have been late but while eating at Taco Bell on Sat. a member of our ward was there and said remember to set your clocks forward. Took me by surprise. I hated the change yesterday when I lost an hour of sleep but loved it today when my kids were still asleep at 9:30.

Dalton Family said...

ha! WE DID THE SAME THING! We showed up at church thinking we would get the soft seats because we were early! NOPE! We arrived 10minutes before Sacrament got out!!!

Sarah said...

Luckily I have clocks that change themselves and they got the memo! I've been on a media blackout for days! Good for you! You can just blame it on being newlyweds!

Tiffany said...

Trev and I did this once as well! We walked into sacrament meeting, near the front, right before they were about to say a prayer. We THOUGHT it was the opening prayer. NOPE! CLOSING PRAYER! We forgot about the time change!! We literally were at church for 2 minutes and it was over. We RAN out of there and ducked into our car. So embarrassing.

Katie said...

I agree about ditching the time changes. It gets even worse with kids and schedules. We switched ok this time, but in October we were one random phone call away from missing Sacrament meeting and the primary program in which I had to speak in! I think it's great you turned off the media for a weekend- don't feel guilty one bit!