Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Every kiss begins with . . .

(Apologies to Kay Jewelers, but their tag line is very well known here, and as a communications nerd I find it to be an excellent slogan). Their commercials say, "Every kiss begins with Kay." And because I'm blogging about it, the ad is obviously a success.

I was reading a Dear Abby that talked about how jewelry commercials raise the bar too far for men and set unrealistic expectations in women. I agree, they probably do. But do I smile at the "I love this woman!" commercial? Yes.

Todd is good about making me feel appreciated and loved, and he surprises me and shows me he loves me. Surprise flowers are great, and I always melt just a bit when I see he's made the bed. Do I need him to slip a diamond bracelet on my hand while we're stopped at a red light? Not really. Because in real life, the little things someone does to show he loves you are so much sweeter.

Yesterday I was gathering my purse to go to work, and I saw a fresh pack of gum had been placed in my purse. I looked in the other pack and, yup, there was only one piece of gum left. Todd had noticed I needed gum and had gotten a new pack and put it in my purse. I loved it. It was such a random sweet thing for him to do, showing that he pays attention not only to my neurotic habits, but also to my needs. The little things truly are the key to romance.

Would I love a one-time diamond gift? Sure. But would I rather have a husband who constantly pays attention to me and tries to make me happy? Absolutely.

I'd love to hear (i.e. read) the rest of you gush about your husbands or boyfriends (and then maybe mention it to him when he comes home from work tonight).

11 comments:

Rachel B. said...

That is so cute that he put new gum in your purse! Things like that really are the best. I can't do a post bragging about my husband because Tom's been getting a lot of crap from my brothers and our guy friends lately from some recent braggy posts I've done. We can't help that we have such awesome husbands right? :) I don't know if you saw my post about "porn for women" a couple weeks ago, but that is so how it is!

Dalton Family said...

I love it! Todd is so sweet!!! What a great little surprise:)

Jess said...

That is awesome he pays attention to those small things. Bran doesn't notice those kind of little things. Those moments are way better than diamonds! Nice job Todd!!!

Unknown said...

That is so sweet! What a great husband. I think the little things are the best. More than flowers, candy, or jewlery small things that show they are paying attention are the best!! Justin will do the dishes or put laundry away or things like that and I just know that he loves me! I am so glad that you have such an attentive husband! I can't wait to meet him!!

Betsy Fowler said...

very, very sweet.

Kerstin said...

That is so sweet. I love the small little gestures that Jared does to show that he loves me. I think they are nice because it shows me that he is paying attention.

Meg said...

That is so neat about the gum. I totally agree that it is the small things. When we are millionaires I wouldn't mind the diamonds, but right now I am so glad my husband helps with all the chores, does the dishes etc. I am one of those envied people in my ward because Eric does so much of the stuff that the women have to do. I love it. It makes me feel so good that he tries to make my day easier. I am glad you have found a winner.

Rachel said...

What a sweetheart Todd is! It must be in the family, because Dave is good about that kind of stuff, too. Just yesterday he knew I was having a really crummy day which wan't getting any better since the house was a wreck and I didn't feel like cleaning any of it! Later that night I walked into the bedroom and saw that he had picked up everything off of the floor and had made the bed! That's the kind of stuff that REALLY shows that they love you! :o)

Maggie said...

Very sweet. After reading some of the comments, it made me think of a Dave Barry column that Matt and I recently read. I'll have to find it for you Jen!

Sarah said...

Does putting up with a pregnant wife count? ha ha. I'm with you on the gifts thing. I'm not very good at it, so I think that makes me not value it as much. But I love having a husband that after a year and a half still can't let go of me, except when I ask him to go get me something. :)

Katie said...

That is such a sweet thing! It's even better that you notice and thank him for all his cute little gestures. While Ryan did give me a pair of GLOVES??! for Valentine's Day (2 pairs actually) he is always willing to get his hands dirty. This includes cleaning up after all my baking escapades as well as poopy diapers. I also love that he always saves me the last bite of any treat we share. I agree, it's the little stuff that's better than diamonds. (Besides, does anyone ever really have the money to go somewhere nice to actually WEAR the diamonds?)