Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Growin' up, readin' laundry labels

Last weekend Todd and I went to H&M. My sister Whitney fell in love with that store while she was in Spain, and she raves about it. For good reason. They have great prices and really cute clothes. Very European.

And European is good in many ways, except each article of clothing had a label in many different languages (fun!), but the laundry label was only pictures. I don't know what the pictures mean! That probably makes me a bad woman and crappy 20-years-self-laundry-doer and ugly American, but I couldn't figure out what the symbols meant. Dry clean? Hand wash? Don't use detergent?

So, thanks to the wonderful power of AskJeeves (Google failed me big time--it kinda left a dent in my online universe), I found this site that lists the American version of laundry labels. Which was close enough to what's on my new clothes. And I found some interesting labels I didn't know existed and instructions I didn't know were required for clothes (who irons?!).

I'm very familiar with this one. I used to buy all kinds of dry clean-only clothes, but recently I've realized that's quite annoying.

Did you know the lines under the little washing machine bucket mean things? I don't think I've ever seen these before. Fascinating.

And some things you're not supposed to wash. Eew.

So I realize this probably tells you more about me than I'd like, mainly that I suck at following laundry instructions, but I really did enjoy looking at all the laundry rules. Maybe it's because there are so many pictures.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see the new cute clothes. Take pictures when you wear them.

Maren and Rik said...

I definitely did not know what those picture labels meant. That's kind of interesting and fun.

Jessica B Photography said...

Wow, I am fascinated and disgusted at the same time. I'm not a fan of laundry nor am I knowledgable. And I don't iron. I can, but I prefer not to. If Chris needs a shirt, he'd better plan ahead for himself. Maybe I should shop at H&M.

Sweet header!

Unknown said...

I love H&M. I rarely go because there isn't one anywhere close to us, but I do appreciate the prices and the cuteness of the clothes.

The laundry label thing is interesting. If I don't know how I'm supposed to wash it I just throw it in with my darks on cold and then lay it flat to dry (hmmm, probably ruined a lot of good clothes that way). I will have to pay better attention from now on! Thanks!

The Bames said...

I don't know if I've ever actually washed anything on the gentle cycle? Guess I should start looking for those double lines.

I had a good amount of money on a H&M gift card that I got from Jeff's family for my birthday. I thought I could make it last for like a years worth of my shoping at the store. Please. The first time I went in there that sucker was gone. I think I have like 5 bucks left, but at least there it will get me a scarf, hair accessory or belt. I feel in love with H&M in London.

Whitney said...

For some reason, I never really noticed the labels on H&M clothes. I'll have to look. That probably says even MORE about my laundry abilities.

Though that could just be the self-preservation of my shopping habit kicking in. After all, if I ruin my cute H&M clothes, I have to go get more.

AaronandLoriSmith said...

Hey Jen, it's great to hear from you. I actually turned away from dentistry and am now in my last year of pharmacy school in Glendale, AZ. My brother Jared and I are in the same class together. I can't tell you how tired of school I am. We wish you guys luck in getting the residency you want. I know how much anxiety that cause.

Sarah said...

Laundry diagrams and the metric system... why is the U.S. so slow to convert. Only a matter of time...

Foxs said...

Ha, Jen I was just wondering about this today. I bought a dress at this store and went to put it in the wash today and couldn't figure out how to wash it. I make a big deal of following the washing directions. Thanks for the useful information :)