Thursday, October 9, 2008

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me--a jumper for my car battery

Women are hard to shop for, and sometimes we don't even know what we want (well, we do, but we're reasonable enough to know you can't have 100 pairs of shoes). I have an excellent gift idea, but it's not romantic or soft or peep-toey--it's functional, but awesome.

Last Christmas my brother- and sister-in-law got me this car battery jumper. It charges by being plugged into a regular outlet in your house. It has a meter on it so you can tell how much charge it has. And it's lightweight; the two times I've used it I had no problem lifting it from my trunk.

It has actual paddle thingies (see, it's obviously easy to use if someone who knows nothing about cars or car terms can use it effectively) that attach onto your car battery, just like if you used cables attached to another car. Except all you have to do is attach the paddles and then turn the charger on. Then start your car and viola! You have power again. It is honestly the coolest thing.

All women should have one of these, charged, in their cars at all times. Because batteries never die when men are around. They die after your husband leaves for work, they die when you're at the gym and no one will help you, or they die when you're stranded in a huge parking lot and it's getting dark. It's a huge safety issue as well as one of convenience. It's so nice to be able to restart your dead car battery all by yourself.

So there ya go. It's not pretty, but it's still one of my best gifts.

12 comments:

Kerstin said...

That is super cool, i didn't even know they made things like this.

Andrea said...

Have one...and I LOVE it! We originally bought it in Washington to keep on our boat. It was a life saver when we would undock and find the boat DEAD! When we moved from Washington and sold the boat we transferred it to the car. I haven't ever had to use it but it will be a blessing when I do!

Tiffany said...

Woo woo! I like this post. A. Because it is a good gift idea (and I should get one too) B. You mention Christmas which gets me super excited! Win win situation!

PS-I have often wondered why your comments are titled "FINGS others wanted to say" Is that an accidental misspell or an inside joke?

Jen said...

Yea for Christmas, huh!

And yeah, it's an inside joke. My sister-in-law was transcribing my niece's comments about my and Todd's upcoming wedding. My niece rambled on and on about babies and weddings and spaceships and her siblings, and then at the end she paused and said, "That's all the fings I want to say." I love her adorable little lisp.

Jenae said...

How excited was I when I figured out that YOU were the Jen who commented on my blog? Pretty darn. I was just thinking about you the other day. You and your sweetie should come and visit sunny Santa Barbara so I can get to know him. Email me sometime (since my dad in allergic to sharing family info).
JenaeJ@gmail.com

Britty said...

That is a great idea. Can I tell you how many times I had my car jumped in Provo? Another great thing to have in your car is fix-a-flat. I used that about a month ago.

No fair that you already went through this gay marriage crap in Nevada. I really hope this pans out and we don't have to worry about it for a while, at least.

Jessica B Photography said...

For years, I have been asking for an emergency kit for the car. Have I ever gotten it? No. Maybe I should ask for that sewing machine.

Unknown said...

That's pretty cool. Personally I've never had a car battery die on me (although now that I've said that I will), but better safe than sorry! Maybe I will have to talk to Justin about getting one!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for clearing that fing up for me!

Foxs said...

"Not peep-toey" -That made me laugh. THat is an excellent idea, and so practical.

Jess said...

I would never have thought of that! Great idea. I am struggling with what to get people for CHristmas this year. Kids are easy but adults are hard. Especially the in laws. Any other great ideas, let me know. Hope to see you this weekend!!!

Meg said...

Okay here is the requested very long comment of my tipping boat.

It was my family's second cruise. Our first one was on Holland America and awesome. This one was on Norwegian and it was cheaper and thus the reason we picked it. There were nine of us from my family on it and we were on a newer ship. we were having a good time though the food and service weren't as good as the first one. But hey it was a cruise and we always manage to have a good time together. So fast forward to very last day. We are on our way to Victoria. It is about 11am and I am in my room straightening my hair (takes a way long time) and the boat starts moving sideways. At first I just think it is rough waters but it just kept going. Slowing all the furniture that wasn't bolted down--table, chairs, and anything loose starts sliding towards the window side of the room. I am still not quite sure what is going on and I notice that my window is in the water. Not very comforting considering that I was on the 8th floor. I worked my way to the door and looked out the hall and people were running with lifevests on. But there were no bells (you know the drill sounding ones). The ship slowly started to right itself and then it tipped again. But then it righted itself and that was the last of the tipping. They never came on and said what was happening. But for the next few hours people were walking around with their life vests on. The damage was pretty intense. All of the crystal on the shelves in the stores shattered and they closed that whole are of the ship down the rest of the cruise, the slot machines fell over, a couple of the arcade games fell over. My mom was on the top deck laying on a deck chair and when it happened she slid all the way to the other side while the pools completely emptied out. You know how at dinner you get like 3 glasses and fifty million plates. There was one plate at each setting and one cup. Our waiter told us most of the dishes broke. There were quite a few older people who had heart attacks. The ship kept sailing and when we got off at Victoria we just wanted to see what the outside of the ship looked like and to see how high our rooms looked. We were later informed that the captain did something that had caused the ship to make a sharp turn that it wasn't able to make. The captain was fired. Funny enough my dad had broken his leg before our trip and so was on crutches and my brother tore his acl a few days before the tip and so he was on crutches and after the tip everyone was asking us if that happened in the tip. I think we should have said yes and gotten tons of money from them. Oh well. Once the tip was over and none of my family was hurt we were all pretty excited that something like that had happened to us. A few weeks after we got back Norwegian gave us a credit towards a cruise. By the time we went I was married and so it was my husbands first cruise. The ship was really old and they ran out of food and a few days after our cruise ended we read in the news that the broiler blew up killing 6 people. After that we decided Norwegian wasn't the way to go. My grandparents steward on the second cruise was actually on the tipping boat working and he gave us more details about things and injuries. So that was interesting. Plus he also informed us that it was the tipping ships maiden voyage since the same Captain had run the ship ashore 6 months before our tip. Does that make sense. Anyways fortunately that tip hasn't turned our family off of cruising if anything we love it more. I get sad when we don't get to go and it is just an adventure that we can talk about. So there you have it. I don't like Norwegian. Sorry it is so long. Hoped you enjoyed and that it made sense.