Before we started our Alaska cruise we spent the weekend in the Seattle area, and we got to see this adorable face as well as my brother and sister-in-law.We stayed in Sammamish with my parents' very good friends the Fowlers. They were great hosts and it was nice to spend so much time with them. We also got to spend an evening with Todd's very good friend Phil and his wife Jasmine. I had only met them at our wedding, so I really enjoyed getting to know them better. It's too bad they live far away.
We had a wonderful time in Alaska. We knew we were taking a risk with the last cruise of the year, but we got so lucky--every port day was sunny. That meant about five days of sunshine. In Alaska. It was unheard of, and we really appreciated it. It would've been mighty cold without the sun. And because we were the last or second-to-the-last boat, every souvenir shop was having 50-75% off sales. We bought lots of things just because we could.
Ketchikan was our last Alaska stop, and probably my favorite city adventure. They had this beautiful area of town called Creek Street, which was on an inlet surrounded by cool colorful buildings and a wooden sidewalk. In the inlet we saw lots of salmon again, including salmon
That night we had terrible weather--hurricane-force winds and 18-foot waves (or 80-foot. Todd thought they said 80, I heard 18, but we all know about my iffy hearing). So the ship was moving a ton. Luckily my seasickness medicine works wonderfully well. But because of the weather, we were an hour late
Oh, and what was our opinion of Holland America?
It was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis great. We absolutely recommend them. Roomy accomodations (each bathroom had a tub!), only 1900 people on the ship, friendly staff, etc. It was great. Especially because of the deal we got from VacationsToGo.com. Check it out.If you're so inclined, you can see every single (random) picture we took here. There are a lot of them.
14 comments:
Sounds like you found the perfect time to go. What a fun trip. Love the pictures.
How fun! I need to do that one day, and when I do, I will use Holland American! :)
ADORABLE hat by the way....you and the hat look so cute in every pic!!
What in the heck little miss traveller? You guys are all over the place. That is so awesome! I've heard that Alaskan cruises are the best. I'm glad you had fun, but kind of mad that I've just been sitting here in my house. :)
That sounds so fun (and cold). Taking the last cruise of the season sounds like it worked out extremely well. Justin would LOVE to do an Alaskan cruise. I have never thought it sounded fun (too cold) but after reading this and seeing your pics, I'm reconsidering!
Oh.... :( I left a comment yesterday, but it's not here. Either my computer decided it wasn't worth posting, or it got blocked for being inappropriate...sad day :(
Knowing you, it probably got flagged for its inappropriateness.
Sad your comment is in a black hole.
"We saw a ton of salmon, although most of them were dead." How unfortunate. :) (that line made me laugh)
I get wicked sea sick. I have never done a cruise. What meds did you take?
You guys are true gallivant-ers. You are all over the place! This is me being jealous... :(
Wait a minute!! I voted on your poll that you had to take me with you!!! Sharing your gorgeous photos is nice, but really, you have to take me with you next time!
Your pics are gorgeous!!! I have never been there and probably won't ever get there. So I appreciated seeing your pics. Awesome vacation. I am enjoying the fall but I'm not ready for snow!!
What a BEAUTIFUL trip!!! It's sounds like you had a wonderful time. Don't you just love making memories like that? I'm glad you had such a good time (and good luck with the weather)!
Ok I am way late on this but it sounded like you had a great time. Your pictures really made me miss it. And I have to say Holland America is my favorite cruise line too. They are absolutely awesome. My first cruise to Alaska our boat actually tipped. Yep that meant my room on the eighth floor was underwater. quite scary there for a while but it righted itself. It was funny afterwards to see so many people walking around with life vests. No one fell overboard but there were a lot of injuries and a lot of internal damage. Such as most of the dishes breaking, and the crystal in the shops, and the slot machines falling over (yes we use to gamble). But heck it got us a free cruise. Now you guys need to take one to the Caribbean. Glad you had fun and that you didn't get seasick that really kills it for some people.
SO, SO Jealous! I even lived in Seattle for 14 months and NEVER did the Alaskan Cruise. One of these days I will make Bryson take me! I am glad you guys had fun!
How cool. Travel while you can... Ketchikan sounds fun.
WAIT. How does huge cruiseship tip over?! That's the craziest story I'm ever heard and you must tell me more. That would be the craziest vacation story ever. Truly. Did they make you go home because your room was soaking? Did you get to keep your life vest? Did you know karma doesn't like it when you gamble? :)
Post a Comment