Not to offend the many many Twilight fans out there, but the movie isn't going to be good. Entertaining, yes, but I am not getting my hopes up that it will be worth the hype or worthy of the book. The trailers (except the newest one) are hokey, and as was pointed out at dinner last night, a movie just can't do justice to a book that has cult following. Having said that, I'm still going to see the movie as soon as possible because it's the most interesting movie to come out in months and I loved that book and I enjoy getting supremely dorky about this kind of thing.I've heard people compare Stephenie Meyer to J.K. Rowling. The fact these two authors make kids and teenagers read books is excellent. But Meyer is no Rowling (again, Twilight nuts, I know this smacks of blasphemy, but it's true). Twilight was a wonderful book with an excellently told story. But the other three books were very poorly written. Their stories were good, but the plot progression was nearly non-existent. I've heard she's a good storyteller but not a good writer, and it's true. She does tell an excellent story, and the Cullens are some of the best characters ever.
Conversely, J.K. Rowling is a phenomenal storyteller and an equally impressive writer. The Harry Potter books are great literature. So good, in fact, that I am reading them again, again, because I need books I know are guaranteed good reads.I also think the movies have been pretty good representations of the books (long books can never become stellar two hour movies, so there's always that caveat).
Therefore, I am quite excited about the sixth movie. This trailer shows why. The stories have gotten so mature by this book and are even more interesting to read. The things that happen in this book . . ..
(I realize I just totally vented about Twilight and gushed about Harry Potter. Apparently this has been stewing in me for a while. And I am a total nerd.)
15 comments:
I have to agree with you about Twilight. I did enjoy the series but it was nothing phenomenal. And they did seem to continuously go downhill with each book. That being said...I will absolutely be watching the movie. In fact, the plan is to have a girl b-day (for me) movie night to go see that movie on the 21st. SO if you don't already have a hoard of gals to go with, please do come celebrate my b-day, Twilight style!
Thanks for sharing the Harry Potter trailer. I can't wait! It looks so good. I just hope twilight is decent and not a let down. It seems like I am the only mormon in town that can't get through the books. I am stuck on number three. But I am determined even if it takes me till the fourth movie comes out to finish the series (if there is one!).
Cool! I am excited to see this movie as well, and I am right with you on Meyer and Rowling -- Harry Potter is an awesome read. I am actually reading the last Harry Potter book right now - but after watching the trailer I feel like I want read that book (#6)instead.
I completely agree with you about the Twilight vs. Harry Potter thing. A lot of times when I tell people that I don't love the Twilight books though they look at me like I have two heads. I loved that preview for Harry Potter, thanks for posting it!
Amen!!! Amen, amen, amen. I've read the Twilight books. Not totally sure why since I wanted to pull my hair out the majority of the time, but I guess that 5% of good writing was interesting enough. Harry Potter will forever be my favorites. I was so bummed when the movie got pushed back, but I'll wait patiently. And I'm glad the 7th will be split into two to do the book justice.
Jen! cute blog! Glad I found it! e-mail me at j5jubilee@gmail.com and I'll send an invite to you so you can see my blog...
I love that we had this conversation when I finally read the books! I agree with you though. Except I never read the Harry Potter books because I was in school. I guess I better get to it now though! I am also not getting my hopes up for the Twilight movie.
Jen, I totally agree with you on the movie. I will definitly see it ASAP but am not expecting anything. You totally got it right with Harry Potter not a good comparison to Twlight.
P.s. Ryan and I were eating at Red Robin right before we went out looking at the sports stuff so we probably just missed you. Haha, you should have knocked on the window and said hi!! Next time...
Wow Jen, you made some bold statements about Twilight.....and I love it! I personally am not a Twilight fan in the least, but I will admit that I'll probably end up seeing the movie anyway. I was only able to read one and a half of her books because I just couldn't get into them. I'm glad to see that there are a few others (from the comments) out there who aren't so insanely obsessed.
I have not read either (shocking!) but I do really enjoy the Harry Potter movies. I would probably enjoy them more if I knew the stories behind everything (as in, if I read the books!). I probably will not make any effort to see the Twilight movie....
I hate to go against the grain, but I had a LOT of problems with the Twilight series. To the point where, dare I say it, I did not care for it at all. I have zero desire to see the movie and I am wondering how exactly you can turn characters with NO PERSONALITY into an interesting movie (because it didn't make an interesting book). Other than being insanely attractive, Edward has nothing really going for him - if I read the word 'smoldering' one more time I swear I was going to puke. Similarly, Bella is a klutz, that's it - personality traits end there. She has no interests, no ambitions, no discernable hobbies - how is that interesting?!? The whole relationship between Bella and Edward is based on physical attraction and some random, undefined 'need' for one another. Nothing deeper that truly constitutes a relationship. Do we really want young girls thinking that this is what love is?
Okay, I will stop ranting now. Apparently Jen, you aren't the only one with some pent up rants. The point is - you are right JK Rowling kicks Stephanie Meyers booty up and down. I'm excited for the next Harry Potter - bring it on!!
Yep - totally can't wait for the next Harry Potter. Never did get into the Twilight series, though, and now I have even less of a desire to after reading your post. :-)
We should do a Harry Potter Marathon of the first 5 movies right before the release of the 6th. Hmmmm... actually that might take a while since the movies are so long. Oh well, I might do it anyway. :-)
I laughed after the first statement! No, it won't be good. The only 'cult' movie that was as good if not better than the book (in my opinion) was LOTR (except #2). Anyhoo, I thought you would find this blog amusing...I saw this spoof of Twilight and was literally rolling on the floor.
We need good 'gut laughs' every once in awhile.... ENJOY!!!
http://borrowedlight.blogspot.com/2008/10/please-to-enjoy.html
I love it when you update your blog with Jen thoughts. I enjoyed all the books alot---they are totally mindless entertainment with fun twists. I also enjoyed "Host" very much. And I will go to see the midnight show with you and Kelsey if you are still doing that. Crazy nerds! Viva la memories!
Okay, I guess I'm just jumping on the bandwagon, but I completely agree. I did enjoy the Twilight books, but those were read when I was forced to sit on the couch for extended periods of time, while nursing a newborn.
Harry Potter on the other hand was squeezed into every possible extra minute I had when I had an extremely busy schedule. I was almost immediately pulled into the story with Rowling's incredible writing and was kept there because she was so intelligent in how all the stories weaved together.
I have yet to read the last Twilight book, but will because I'm an avid reader of almost anything placed in front of me and I will likely enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'll re-read them with as much enjoyment and relish as I will continue to do with the Harry Potter books.
Post a Comment