Monday, March 2, 2009

You know it's true . . . everything I do . . .

This morning as I ran on the treadmill I nearly finished watching Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. That movie is so iconic and is one of the very few movies that take me back in time (to 1991--can you believe how long ago that was?!).

I remember my mom wouldn't let me watch the movie because it was too dark, so I had to go to the Sorenson's house to view it. The beginning made my skin crawl (maybe that's why my mom didn't want me to watch it).

That one Bryan Adams song (you know the one) was playing everywhere, all the time, and I longed to dance to it at my wedding (in 1991--by the time I got married the song's kitschiness factor was too high, sadly).


You seriously don't remember The Song? ;)

I think that's when I first realized how awesome Morgan Freeman is. And he didn't even do a voice-over.

Snape is the villain. When I saw the first Harry Potter movie I thought, "Hey, that's the Sheriff of Nottingham!"

Best line: "Because it's dull, you twit, it'll hurt more!"

I love that Kevin Costner doesn't even attempt an accent.

The version I'm watching has a bunch of weird, random added scenes that bug me. The witch is Nottingham's mom? What?! I can totally see why they took those scenes out, but why did they add them back? Why can only LOTR add deleted scenes that actually help the movie? Don't get me started on Beauty and the Beast . . ..

When Robin Hood saves Marian, the cheesiest line of the movie (and maybe of all time) is uttered, but it still gives me chills every time: Marian: "You came for me." Robin: "I would die for you." Awww.

The F word is in the movie. I only realized that a few years ago. Scandalous. IMDB tries to say he says, "Fie me," but that's not what he says (I hope "fie" isn't some random cuss word either, like "bugger" [which they also say a lot in the movie]).

Could you imagine being a butt double? Ha.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Ummmm I think I need to watch this movie again... I'm ashamed to say.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this movie. Everytime it comes on TV I have to stop and watch it. You're right, there is a LOT of cheese in this movie, but it's just awesome. I think I could safely say that this is the best thing that Kevin Costner has done (or, at least, the best thing I've seen that he's done). And yes, Morgan Freeman is awesome - always has been, always will be!

Jessie said...

We got this movie from Netflix not too long ago. Quincy and I got into an argument because I said that they added that witch scene. I am glad you got my back. I have to say this was one of the best movies of the 90's for sure!

Maren and Rik said...

I totally recognized the title! The spoon quote is definitely my favority too. I'm sure the main reason I even know that movie is because of you. Thanks for that. It is a good one.

Jessica B Photography said...

HA! My sister Staci played this song at her wedding. Aren't you jealous :) (it was '96, you were much too young to be getting married then.)

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I could use a butt double myself....

April said...

Ah! I love this movie and the song that goes with it! You are right it is full of cheese, but what romantic movie isn't? Ah, I am going to have to go find my copy and watch it!

Betsy Fowler said...

"to the trees!"

Sarah said...

Whenever I hear that song I remember wanting to dance to it with Adam Fradella. Ha ha!!

Dalton Family said...

ha!I love that instead of just not watchting it, you just went to Summer's house! That's hilarious!

Oh, Sarah, I remember your little fling with Adam Fradella!

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

Jen, you make me laugh out loud, which is good for my abs. Thanks. xoxoxo