Yes folks, we've finally had our first sighting of the stinging, freaky reason we get our house sprayed. (And notice in this picture--it has antennas or something in the front, and then equally long stingers in the back. Eew eew eew.)
BUT, our bug man told me if they're around during the day it's because they're injured, because they're nocturnal. And this one was falling off the leaves and moving pretty erratically, which I'm hoping means it encountered our pest control barrier.
It then moved from the plants to our entryway, which elicited a squeal of panic from yours truly. But then I learned another happy fact--these bugs (at least the injured ones) can't climb the one step we have that leads to our door. Score!
And as always, the bug man wasn't lying when he said rain brings these things out. Nothing like a tropical storm to really welcome us to Hawaii. Mosquitoes out at noon, and a monster centipede. Nice.
So yeah, it was about 6 inches long, and incredibly and freakily fast. It moved like a dragon*, very serpentine-like. I have before and after photos--meaning, Before Raid and After Raid (BR, AR). I waited about a half hour AR until I dared put a penny near it. I didn't waste a quarter--this coin is going to be outside until the dead bug is gone. Just in case it starts moving again. I wonder if birds eat this nastiness?
* I have never seen a dragon, but I've imagined how they would look and move. Plus, I'm reading Eragon again, so dragons are on my mind. And I'm a dork.
11 comments:
That is a HUGE centipede. Gross, gross, gross. I'm glad it didn't come in. It makes me laugh, though, that you were watching so long. Probably because I would have done the same thing. :)
Speaking of big bugs, we saw a gigantic one while eating lunch yesterday. Did you ever see something here that looked like a cross between a cocroach and a wasp? I've never seen it before and I hope I never do again! Ich!
All this "running" from almost- dragons, mosquitos, and jellyfish must be a good pregnancy workout. ;)
THAT IS FREAKING DISGUSTING, NASTY, CREEPY-MAKES-MY-SKIN-CRAWL, IT SHALL HAUNT MY NIGHTMARES!!!!!!!!
That is gross! I would have screamed and jumped up and down and then screamed some more while running in circles. That is so nasty! I am glad you have your barrier!
I am also sorry about the mosquitos! I hate, hate mosquitos! Nasty little pests! They are everywhere here!
Serpentine-like is very bad.....I think I would have died on the spot. Thank goodness for raid. I guess paradise has it's drawbacks....
Totally gross! I am glad you are still alive. Things like that could eat you. Beware....
You are cracking me up! I can just picture you in that situation! I would've acted the same way:-)
Welcome to Hawaii, I guess!
Yuck. I thought the bugs out here were bad. Thanks for the perspective!
Wow, that is absolutely disgusting and very very disturbing and even more scarey!!! I can't believe you were able to take pictures. I think I would have peed myself.
eeeewww!!! that's so nasty!
Nasty! I totally got the chills when the picture of that thing came up! I am glad you drenched it Raid.
Few things can give me the heeby jeebies, but those absolutely creepy pictures BR/AR did it. Gag. Gag again. Eew. Gag and shudder. Gag. Let's see...many months pregnant...creepy bugs galore...you may have to start wearing Depends. Just for safety.
Lou may need some for the trip.
Post a Comment