Monday, August 3, 2009

Like inventing pet insurance, another "I wish I would've done that!" moment

Todd and I finally (and probably prematurely) went on a shopping spree for Baby Girl. It was a blast. We have so much pink now! And green and brown and blue and purple and . . . just lots of baby, basically. It's all so cute and tiny.

The #1 item on the list, as I'm sure it is for most parents, was onesies. Lots and lots of onesies. Because they're adorable and useful. Always a nice combination.

I noticed most companies call them "bodysuits." I wondered why. Then I noticed a Gerber onesie.
Gerber trademarked the onesies name! (I guess I should say "Onesies" [TM].) How tricksy and smart are they?! That cracks me up. I wonder when they did that? Now Onesies is like Kleenex and Band-Aid--names that define a product itself, but the name is a trademark which means no one else can use it. Well played, Gerber.

(I realize this is probably a total Communications nerd post, getting excited about the marketing and trademark of a product . . . but I'm ok with my Comms nerdiness.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit, it was a little nerdy, but that is so tricksy! That's why other products have lame names!! I never knew.

Loupe and Aaron said...

yeah for onesies! that was a good move by Gerber. lucky devils.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Onesies are so fun, So are bodysuits. Target has the cutest ones....is there a target there in HI? there wasn't when we were there.

Sarah said...

A little nerdy but I remember thinking the same thing! (A little note about the Gerber "onesies"... do be tricked by the sizing. They fit really small, like six months small. And they are the best for newborns.)

Unknown said...

Interesting. I never noticed that. I do have to admit though - the Gerber onsies are my favorite.

Meg said...

First off, how exciting to be having a little girl. I am so jealous. But way happy for you. I love all the baby girl clothes. And how cool that your parents and sisters got to be here for the ultrasound. I will tell you that having a girl means you will spend alot more money on clothes than if you were having a boy--because the clothes are so cute. Whereas the boys all look the same. Also I found it very interesting about the Onesies. i would never have even noticed that.

Anonymous said...

I'm a nerd too, I love interesting facts!

Rachel said...

I noticed that when I first shopped for "onesies." (I'm glad someone else finds that as amusing as I do.) And really, you can't call them anything else. It's funny you mentioned Band-aids because I went to get some the other day and for the life of me I couldn't think of what generic "band-aids" would be called.... just plain old bandages, who knew? :) You should put together a list of other things we refer to by brand names without even thinking about it. (I'm glad I'm not alone in my nerdiness...)

Angie said...

that is funny- onesies are the best! I'm so excited for you guys! Baby girl shopping is the best!