Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One ring to rule them all

In Middle-pacific resided two persons called Jen and Todd. One day they went to the perfect beach. They spent much time in the water--they played in the waves, dodged man-of-wars, and gazed at the beauty around them.

As always, Todd wore his One Ring. For 18 long months this ring had been his constant companion. It had transformed him into a great husband, and he had come to rely on its power.
On this day, however, the ring abandoned Todd.

For a long while, despite the risk of sunburn, he braved the crashing surf trying to locate the ring. But his search was in vain.

His precious was lost.

I'm hoping some lucky Hobbit with a metal detector finds the ring and enjoys it, because it really is a nice (fortunately replaceable) ring.

Luckily, of all the places to lose a wedding ring, the ocean in Hawaii is a pretty dang good one.

14 comments:

Dalton Family said...

JEN!!!! DON"T give up! Did I ever tell you how in 2005 I lost my ring in the Ocean in Hawaii????? I was devastated....it was horrible. I left my name at the front desk of the hotel that was close to the beach. ANyway, our vacation went on for 5 more days, we flew to other islands and before we left back for Utah, I got a call saying they think they found my ring!

There's a lot more to the story, but we flew back to Oahu and it was ours! This little boy found it while snorkeling! MIRACLE...we tell this story all the time. There is hope! I can still remember that horrible feeling I had when I lost it though..I feel so bad for you and Todd!

Good luck!

Larysa said...

Sad. It least it is laid to rest in a happy place. And may no creepy Gollum ever find it.

Whitney said...

Oh, much sadness! I suppose it is a bit better that it is replaceable, but still, poor Todd.

(On the lighter side, may I start calling him Isildur?)

Jessica B Photography said...

Chris lost his too. I personally made it for him, put a lot of sweat and hard work into it. We were married about two years. We invited all my family over for dinner. Chris took his ring off (gasp!!!) because he was preparing the fish we were cooking for dinner. Then he took my bro-in-law & children outside to show them "the hole" - the widened entrance to our crawl-space. And the ring has been missing ever since. And not replaced yet either. Jared thinks I should get Chris a ring for Christmas this year.

Unknown said...

His precious! (You should hear Noah's Gollum impression btw - priceless.)

At least, like you said, it's replacable. And - at least it wasn't YOUR ring. That would have been tragic for sure!

April said...

Ah poor Todd (and Jen)! I hope you get lucky like Laura and someone finds it. Maybe you guys should take up snorkeling and keep going back until you find it. :) At least it is replaceable. I still hope you find it though!

Jen said...

The whole time I kept thinking, "I'm so glad that wasn't my ring." Good thing it hasn't fit on my finger in a month and a half. We definitely would've searched longer for a diamond. We even have snorkeling gear, which we store in our beach chairs, but they're heavy and bulky so we take them out when we go to the beach. Oops.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Better his ring, than yours. I had ring insurance for the first couple years of our marriage, because I lose things ALL the time. We didn't need to use it though.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Better his ring, than yours. I had ring insurance for the first couple years of our marriage, because I lose things ALL the time. We didn't need to use it though.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Better his ring, than yours. I had ring insurance for the first couple years of our marriage, because I lose things ALL the time. We didn't need to use it though.

Jess said...

I am so sorry, that is frustrating!!! Funny story though. You look great!!! I am so excited for you. Can you believe only 2 more months???

Betsy Fowler said...

oh no!!!....so sorry about the ring.
extra funny that you posted a zoomed up picture of it though.

Hiltons said...

Hi, First of all, I know your sister(in-law?) Maggie...that is so sad about your husband's ring! My husband lost his once in a parking garage and we actually got it returned later!

Anyway, Maggie and I knew each other from BYU and she told me to look up your blog from hers because you live in Hawaii. My husband and I are taking a "second honeymoon" to Oahu/Maui in 9 days and are still looking for some good suggestions, so here I am asking your opinion. :) She wasn't sure witch island you were on, but I thought I would take a stab in the dark.

My email is melvinhil@gmail.com if you have any suggestions, otherwise good luck on the ring--hope it gets found. :)

Thanks! Melissa Hilton

stacia said...

I am so sorry! Clint also just lost his ring but not in an ocean. His story is less glamorous. He was doing a trash out on some gross house on Casey St. in Las Vegas. He wasn't able to find his either! Bummer for both of our husbands!