We first went to Madrid to get my sister, who had spent the semester in a city near Madrid. Spain was wonderful, probably because Whit had been there for a bit so she showed us some of her favorite places.
Spanish people are beautiful. And they dress spectacularly well. I felt very much unworthy to stand near them on the metro, in my flat sneakers (all the women wear heels. It's incredible and I am sure so bad for their legs and joints and stuff). Also they wear the cutest decorated tights with boots and skirts. I loved that look.
We spent five days in Madrid. The first day we walked around Alcala, the city where Whit stayed. It's beautiful and old. The architecture is phenomenal. Alcala is the city where Cervantes, the man who wrote Don Quixote, was born. I do not love Don Quixote, but it is a famous story, so I'm writing about it.
We toured Madrid for two days. I was amazed to watch people drive past these amazing old buildings like they're nothing, because they see them every day. The buildings are spectacular. I loved European architecture.
We went to the Prado, a famous museum (more on my art non-appreciation in the next post). They had a lot of religious art, which I find to be so weird and kinda depressing.
Next to the palace is a cathedral that was finished in 1994--it was interesting to me to have this fairly new cathedral next to an old palace. I'm naive but I never thought about how cathedrals might still be built today. The ceilings on that cathedral were very bright colors--it reminded me of the Ukranian eggs my mom paints. Unfortunately it was overcast so I couldn't get a good picture of the colors (not that cathedrals are very bright anyway).
We also got to see the temple in Madrid, which was of course beautiful. I love the little touches that make each temple individual. 
In Madrid we stayed in an apartment (we stayed in apartments in all three cities), which was really fun because we were far from the tourist centers, so we got to see what it was like to live there. Like that the elevator can't/won't fit more than three or four people. We took the stairs a lot.
We took the metro everywhere and I got very used to hearing "El proximo estacion . . . " announcing the next station. It was very nice of them to announce the next station, because using the metros was surprisingly confusing for me.
I don't speak Spanish very well, but I at least didn't feel completely lost in Spain (like, say, in France). I enjoyed the country, the people, and the food--Spanish tortillas are fantastic. We did have a bit of trouble getting into Spain, but after we caught another flight and left from Philadelphia instead of Chicago, it was ok. Except our bags went to Spain on the earlier flight and got a bit lost (we found them in the airport's lost and found. Except Kelsey's bag, which went to Mexico. Because . . . they speak Spanish too? So random).
4 comments:
Ok just a couple of things. I agree that some religious art is pretty scary. I'm not a fan. And how on earth did Kelsy's bag get to Mexico? Did you get it back at least? Random. Thanks for posting about your trip!
Your pictures were great. How long were you gone? I am working on my brothers mission scrapbook for christmas and he served in madrid so it was interesting that a lot of your madrid pictures he took also. Are you sad to be back?
HOW FUN!!! I love it!! My dream is to go to Europe and you just made me want to go even more! And ok, Kelsey is old enough to travel! I remember when the girl was born and you were all very tight lipped about her gender!!! Good times! Great pictures, glad you had fun!
Oh, Whitney misses Madrid. And in the city's defense, that was the most rain I ever saw in the three months I was there.
Post a Comment